Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Budget laundry reno - What to do with broom cupboards?

Sarah12
Just Starting Out

Budget laundry reno - What to do with broom cupboards?

IMG_0583.jpeg

IMG_0583.jpeg

IMG_0584.png

Hello! We’ve pulled out our old hot water service in the  laundry, which was in a corner cupboard. Also removing cupboard. We plan to put in a bench top from window (with new round basin) across top of washing machine and  space for drier. On the right will be a two door broom cupboard. My question is - the depth of bench top is 600 - do I need a 600 deep broom cupboard or would it look ok with a 400 deep cupboard in which case the corner of the bench sticks out…has anyone done this and does it look ok? One photo below shows a 400 cupboard and the other is 600…has anyone used a 400 and regretted it? My only reason for a 400 is price!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Budget laundry reno - broom cupboards

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sarah12. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about laundry cabinets.

Aesthetically and practically, it will always be best to have the front of the cabinet flush with the edge of the bench. This prevents a jarring transition from the cabinet to the bench and allows for more storage. It will look fine with a 400-deep cupboard, but unless there is some reason why you don't want to go with a 600mm-deep cupboard, then I suggest you do.

Having a 400mm cupboard and a 600mm bench isn't going to be horrible. It's just typically, cabinetry and benches look more pleasing if they are all in a straight line instead of being stepped.

Let me mention a few of our accomplished members, @prettyliving, @diy_hausdesigns and @DIYMum, that have completed laundry renovations to get their thoughts. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects