Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I paint an old shower base?

Dwight
Just Starting Out

Can I paint an old shower base?

Hi, can I paint my old shower tile? What paint do I have to use? Thank you and regards, Dwight 

20211127_211729.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting Shower Base

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dwight. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting shower base tiles.

I am not aware of any tile paints that are recommended for use on a shower base. There is the Rust-Oleum Tile Transformations Coating System which is suitable for wall tiles in a shower, but after a lengthy conversation with Rust-Oleum technical support, we determined that it is not suitable for floor tiles. I believe this is mainly due to the vast amounts of soap scum and deposits that predominantly build up on a shower floor. The preparation steps to remove this scum for the product to bind adequately are far too extensive for an ordinary user to complete. If you did want to attempt to use this product, you'd have to follow the wall prep instructions and then thoroughly scrub the floor perfectly clean. Please be aware that this product would not be covered by warranty if used on floor tiles within a shower recess.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects