Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can black scratched tapware be repainted?

Aardit
Finding My Feet

Can black scratched tapware be repainted?

Hi 

I have black tapware have scratches, any idea to give them a new life without replacing it. it is powder coated.

TIA

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can black scratched tapware be repainted?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Aardit. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about refurbishing black tapware.

Would you be able to show our helpful members some images of the scratches to give them a better idea of what solutions they could suggest?

One of our members, @lifestylebymari, ingeniously spray painted their tapware black. I'd presume if you prepared your tapware correctly, a similar process could be used. Re-coating the tapware is the only method I can think of to restore them. You could try touching up the scratches with black paint instead of spraying, but this might be quite noticeable.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

20211029_092847.jpg

 Hi MitchellMc

Thank you for getting back to me. Please find the image attached.

Waiting for your reply.

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Aardit,

I'd suggest you sand that rust off with some 240-grit sandpaper. Once you have sanded the majority off, take some Dulux 300g Metalshield Epoxy Enamel Gloss Spray Paint Black and spray some into its cap. Use a Craft Paint Brush to try to touch up just the damaged portion at the end. You might be happy with the results, and if you are, that's fantastic. If it doesn't look great, you can tape off a section at the end and sand the untaped area. Make sure you cover the rest of the surrounding area with a drop sheet. Use the spray paint to coat the end. You'll clearly be able to see that the tip is a different black than the rest, but it could look like it was manufactured this way. If you are still unhappy, you'd be looking and sanding the whole tap and re-coating, but I'd try these steps first as it could save some effort.

Mitchell

Tape.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects