Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can we remove the laundry tubs ourselves in laundry renovation?

Wy
Growing in Experience

Can we remove the laundry tubs ourselves in laundry renovation?

My laundry does not need change of plumbing and electricals. Can we pull out the old tubs ourselves?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry renovation

Hi @Wy,

You might like to provide a little more information about your project so our members can better understand what you'd like to achieve. Some images would also assist.

You can certainly pull out your old tubs, but you'll need to be mindful of any plumbing works in the vicinity.

I look forward to hearing more about your project and assisting further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Wy
Growing in Experience

The plumbing and electrical will stay in place. Found uploading a picture is difficult on your site. The metal tubs are side-by-side and the w.m. and dryer on top of each other. Only tue tubs will be removed.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Wy,

If you tap the camera or image icon above where you're typing your reply, you'll be able to select the image you want to upload. Let me know if you have further difficulties.

Is there anything restricting you from removing the metal tubs?

Mitchell

theDIYedit
Making a Splash

Re: Can we remove the laundry tubs ourselves in laundry renovation?

Hi @Wy 

I removed my old metal tub without any issues. If your plumbing connections are staying the same, this should be a relatively simple task. Just make sure that your water connections are capped / switched off if applicable to ensure you don’t get any leaks if temporarily dissembling pipework or tap connections. Hope that helps! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @theDIYedit

Thank you for that handy recommendation, I'm sure @Wy will find it quite useful. I usually place a plastic basin underneath the Flexi hoses when disassembling laundry taps. Saves me from having to wipe the cabinet when the water comes out.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @Wy 

I took out an old laundry tub/cabinet out and put a smaller variety in from Bunnings a few years back.

Relatively easy.

Then I thought I would screw the back of the unit to the wall. The first drill hole went straight through both sides of the cold water copper pipe.

So, don't do that. 😥

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wy

That's very sound advice from @Noyade. When installing a new laundry tub or cabinet make sure that you've scanned the back of the wall to make sure that you don't hit any plumbing or electrical utilities. Just keep in mind when removing the laundry tub that your plumbing must be turned off so that removal of the taps can be accomplished. Make sure to cover the drain pipe with a plastic bag and rubber band to prevent the sewer gases from entering the room. Most importantly make sure to cap off the hot and cold pipes so that you can turn your water back on.

if you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"That's very sound advice from @Noyade."

Yeah, a bit late for me at the time. 😁

Called a plumber and I made an access hole in the wall to view the damage. Absolutely amazed the drill bit didn't glace off the pipe - I drilled dead centre. Couldn't replicate it if I tried.

What the plumber did with oxy/acetylene, a brazing rod and clearly years of experience mocks this thread.

A $75 mistake repaired by a professional.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects