Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you have a shower next to a bay window?

Will78
Finding My Feet

Can you have a shower next to a bay window?

Hi, we’re about to embark on a bathroom renovation in an old Queenslander. The shower is situated right next to a bay window, and sadly has caused water damage from all the splashing around the area. We want to maintain the bay window there, but unsure if attempting to seal a bay window is practical… Does anyone have any advice on how to achieve this?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you have a shower next to a bay window?

Hi @Will78,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's brilliant to have you join us.

If possible, could you upload some photos to assist our members in offering advice? Let me know if you need assistance uploading images, I'd be more than happy to help.

Some questions that also might help narrow down a solution are:

• Is the water damage happening due to water from the shower? Or water coming in from outside?

• Is the bay window timber? And if so, is it painted?

• Is there a physical barrier such as a shower screen between the shower and window? 

There are likely a number of ways you could maintain the window, but it's tough to tell without seeing it.

Once you've provided some photos and details, I'd be happy to assist further.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob. I’ve attached a photo, and more information 👍

• Is the water damage happening due to water from the shower? Or water coming in from outside? Water from the shower. (Previous owners have installed shower curtains, but it hasn’t helped. 

• Is the bay window timber? And if so, is it painted? Timber and painted. It’s a Queenslander style timber bay window. 

• Is there a physical barrier such as a shower screen between the shower and window?  No, previous attempts did not resolve the problem.IMG_7037.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Will78 

Thanks for answering those questions. I'm sorry, but would it be possible for you to post a photo of the damage on the window frame itself. This will give our members a better idea of its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric. 

We don’t have access into the property yet. I’m more trying to gauge if it’s practical to install a shower next to a bay window. I’m unsure if you could seal a wooden window sufficiently to bear the brunt of those wet conditions. Hope this clarifies?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Will78,

Having timber in close proximity to a water source can cause issues. It's essential that the timber is sealed with a varnish so any splashes can not be absorbed. It's also important to ensure any joins and corners are coated so sitting water can not creep into the frame.

Varnishes deteriorate over time and it sounds like yours might have done so, allowing water penetration. If you are considering keeping the window, then I would suggest sanding back the deteriorated varnish and re-coating. It's then important that you monitor the timber and re-apply varnish as required. This might be every few years, depending on how much sun hits it or how much abrasive wear it receives.

When you say the shower curtains haven't helped, I presume that they would block the water almost entirely from reaching the timber. Can you tell us a little more about how the water is getting past them?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks so much Mitchell. 

we have only purchased the house, but we can see the previous owners tried to tackle the problem by installing shower curtains next to the window. (I think the damage might’ve already been done by that stage).

We could do the same thing, but we’re trying to find another solution that doesn’t look so ugly as a shower curtain haha. 

If we tiled the whole area with a slight slope to promote run off - would that work?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I don't know, @Will78. A couple of black shower curtains split in the middle and held back by brass fixtures could be quite nice, in my opinion. Obviously, you'd need to style the rest of the bathroom to suit.

Is that a shower curtain rail around the inside perimeter of the alcove? It appears to be more of a Venetian blind track.

Where were you intending to tile? On the window sills?

At this point, your best option is likely to sand back the deteriorated sections and give the timber a few good coats of varnish. As long as everything is well sealed, then you should get several years before needing to address any issues.

Mitchell

Cheers Mitchell. 

Yes, it appears to be curtain rails in the alcove.

I was thinking of tiling the horizontal windowsill, down to the floor.

The timber is painted, so I’m assuming a certain type of pain would suit instead of a varnish?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's a bit hard to see details in your image, @Will78, but it appears the window frame and sill are varnished. The windows themselves are painted. But you're correct; paint can be used as well if that is what it is coated with. An oil-based paint is likely your best choice. For compatibility reasons, you'll need to determine what base the existing paint is on. Apply a small amount of an appropriate solvent, such as mineral spirits or paint thinner, to a cotton ball or cloth. Rub the moistened cotton ball or cloth over a small area of the painted surface. If the paint softens or comes off onto the cotton ball or cloth, it's likely oil-based paint. If this is the case, you'll need to sand back any gloss so it's not shiny and apply an oil-based paint coating.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects