Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you spray paint bathroom tapware?

sebiboo
Getting Established

Can you spray paint bathroom tapware?

Hi,

i have allot of gold hardware in my master bathroom- tap, cabinet handles, toilet roll holder, towel holder, metal gold mirror and the list goes on

was thinking of 

- sanding back

- cleaning 

- applying dulux etch primer 

- applying dulux metalshield 

- maybe applying a clear top coat for added protection 

does anyone have experience in this or since bathroom fixtures are in heavy use it is not worth the process

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can you spray paint bathroom tapware?

Hello @sebiboo 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Let us consider your options. Are you keeping the taps because they go with the look and style of the current house decor? Will putting new taps make it look like the new fittings are out of place? Will you save money by going in this particular direction. The answer to the last question is yes. Painting taps is a traditional DIY solution to removing and replacing. If the taps are still in good condition and is still functional then painting them is a viable option.  But before jumping in I suggest a thorough and well thought out game plan. Test one of the taps first, if you find that after sanding, cleaning, etching and painting you are satisfied with the end result then you can then plan the rest of the tap ware and fittings in the house in an orderly manner. 

Please remember that most gold taps and fittings are electroplated and therefore have a much more robust finish that can withstand a great deal of abuse. Even painted taps have an electrostatic paint applied to them to give it a much longer service life. So don't be surprised if the taps you painted chip every now and then. Just be prepared with your touch up can. Looking forward to your first paint job! Please post your progress to help out other members who are thinking of doing the same thing as you. Good luck and stay safe!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd also like to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community @sebiboo. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from the knowledgeable @redracer01. I'd agree that it would be worth doing a test run to see if the option is viable. You could save yourself a considerable amount of money. However, there will be a certain amount of fiddly work and hand sanding involved in this project. I'd also suggest you at least investigate the cost to replace the fittings for newly updated models. The benefit of purchasing new items is that it offers a whole heap of current designs choices which could better suit your styling needs.

I look forward to seeing your results and hearing about the durability of the coatings.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sebiboo
Getting Established

  

2FC01A01-49AA-4B98-922A-98DC45CD6EE3.jpeg

80BB3451-7756-4E2A-B2AB-197F8AAD11EB.jpeg

074F2398-C5FA-4C72-AFBB-7D3935260AB4.jpeg

sebiboo
Getting Established

Hi,

just have it a go

- used dulux metal shield etch 

- dulux epoxy enamel gloss white

24 hrs later hard as a rock and I am going to wait a week and let it sit. 

Can an anyone recommend a clear coating? Want to make sure that it is compatible to go on top of epoxy enamel. 

It will be interesting to see what it looks after a year but as you see from the quality of my taps I am not making the situation any worse. 

Kylie 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That is an amazing finish you've achieved there @sebiboo!

Epoxy enamel topcoats such as the one you have used are in themselves a tough coating. It would be correct to wait seven days for them to achieve maximum hardness. There is no clear coat that would provide additional protection or be harder than the epoxy enamel paint itself. You might like to do a couple of additional coats after achieving coverage to provide further abrasion resistance.

After seeing the high quality of finish you have achieved, I'll be eagerly awaiting any feedback on their durability. Many thanks for updating us on your project.

Mitchell

How is your tapware holding up @sebiboo? We'd love to hear an update, and it would be fantastic to see a picture of the spray painted tapware in situ too.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects