Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use Timber tops on a Bathroom vanity without too much trouble?

Jangaget
Just Starting Out

Can you use Timber tops on a Bathroom vanity without too much trouble?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use Timber tops on a Bathroom vanity withoutto much trouble?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jangaget. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Timber is suitable to be used as a vanity top. However, as with kitchen benchtops, they must be coated with a sealant suitable to the environment they are in. The sealant must be applied on all surfaces including underneath and inside all the cut-outs for taps and the sink. Once the sealant has been applied the benchtop will be water-resistant but not water-proof so any spills need to be cleaned up as soon as possible.

Regular re-sealing of your timber is recommended every two years or if it shows signs of wear. Coatings can wear down and re-sealing ensures that they remain resistant to moisture. A suitable sealant for a bathroom vanity top would be Cabots Cabothane clear.

Please let me know if you need additional information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Anthe
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell

I'm looking into this option like @Jangaget and wondered if a hardwood or one with more depth in the Bunnings range could be stained to suit then sealed? Unfortunately my planned partial bathroom renovation is now underway, however, it's a total demo due to old leaking pipes under the flooring, walls...not what I had in mind so I'm thinking simplicity is the key. Haha! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Anthe. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Many of the available benchtops can be stained to suit and then sealed. You'll find some of them will already come with a coating applied and it would be worth speaking with a team member so they can enquire with the company if it is raw timber and ready to accept a stain. For instance, this 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel would need the surface sanded back to remove the oil coating prior to a stain being able to penetrate.

We look forward to following along with your project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with us.

Please let me know if you needed further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

Anthe
Getting Established

Re:

67AD6DBC-31A4-4F56-9798-D9D1C08A2EFD.jpeg

C57A51FF-FA45-4651-BA0B-190483FB3A5E.jpeg

8079A242-0ECD-448E-BDAF-85958D1656DC.jpeg

11DF8EC1-D3A9-441F-81D5-3B2A03BF4E35.jpeg

Thank you for your advice it is the best solution for me to create a vanity for a basin and to house the washing machine underneath too. My planned reno of the bathroom in stages first with the shower (unsealed tiles causing damage) was changed 10 days ago. The contractor said the whole floor needed demo, he was right but this has put me in a budget bind. “1970’s pipes are not my friends”

Here’s my ground floor apartment. I’m half way through the tiling process, nod to Bunnings for frantic customer assistance, that vanity area I wanted just a floating cupboard, space hidden washing machine but too expensive and old medicine cabinet I’ve no idea...wasn’t expecting this! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Re:

@Anthe,

It sounds like a fantastic project and will look amazing when it is finished. I'd encourage you to start your own discussion so we can follow along with your build. That way we can provide assistance when you need it and I trust the community will take inspiration and learn from your experiences.

We look forward to hearing more about your project.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects