Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grey water hose

csand109
Just Starting Out

Grey water hose

I recently bought a grey water hose on my quest to reduce water wastage. When I connected it to the outlet hose of my washing machine, I thought I’d done so securely and tightly. Our backyard has a natural slope so I lay out the hose to allow gravity to guide the water down to the garden. As soon as the machine started to empty and my back was turned, the hoses separated and water flooded our laundry! Is there an extra connector or something that we were supposed to get to prevent this? 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Grey water hose

Hi csand109,

No, that isn't going to work, as it is currently installed.

All pumps work on a certain amount of back-pressure, what you've done by adding extra pipe-work to the washing machine outlet is effectively dead-ended the pump, because of the friction loss in the line out of the pump.

What you need to do, is let the washing machine pump out into the tub (as it normally does),

but take the waste off of your tub and gravity feed that into a tank or whatever.

How you have that at the moment, will kill the pump seal in the pump in no time flat and could also burn out the motor controller, as if the pump and main drive controller (they work in tandem), draw too much current (under heavy load), there is electronics(Triacs and micro-processors) in there that will eventually fail prematurely.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @csand109,

Great to see you have already got some wonderful expert advice from @MikeTNZ. Welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about all your projects and plans around the house and garden. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Hey @csand109,

I posted about this the other day. We've used these in the past to divert greywater onto a trickle house in the garden. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deebee-grey-water-reclaimer_p3119141

Hopefully you can find a suitable spot...

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi csand109,

I have been using this grey water setup for many years...

The hose is connected to the washing machine outlet and passed through the doggy door in the back door and out onto the back lawn..

The washing machine is nearly 20 years old and still pumps out the water..no problem..

Sink 2.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Please post a photo of the connection between the hose and washing machine hose for better visual analysis! As soon as the community see's it, we should be able to give you better advice.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Mal2
Finding My Feet

Hi @csand109

I’ve joined the workshop and noticed your post. Have you rectified your grey water system. I’ve purchased the 32mm grey water pipe and the blue mountain co diverter. My problem is the connection of the hose is too small and restricts the water flow, causing a leak. 

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Mal2 Welcome to the Workshop Community! You may wish to start your own thread as you have a different issue than the topic at hand and will most likely get a better response.

Alternatively please post a picture of the two connections you are trying to join and I'll try to assist.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks Mitchell,

I’ll get some the pictures and post them. I actually thought the issue was the same, the problem is the washing machine pumps out a volume, in a short time. Which means any restriction in flow is a problem. I’ve purchased some new adapters today which fix the problem. I should add I’m in Sydney, with level 2 Water Restrictions. So finding ways to reuse water is a priority.

thanks 

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Mal2 After re-reading, you have similar issues. Theirs is they either need a clamp or a rubber fitting to go between the hoses to stop it popping off. Yours I'm not sure if a clamp or rubber connector would suit without seeing that diverter and what type of size difference we are talking.

If you can take a picture of them connected and then next to each other, I'll come up with something.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects