Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help with washing machine inlet connection

Ren_B
Getting Established

Help with washing machine inlet connection

Hi all. We have just moved into a rental property and trying to connect washing machine inlet pipe to the tap. The existing hole through which the hose end is meant to go is too small for the winged bit. 

I bought a replacement hose with non-winged bit (sorry, not sure what it's called!) But after connecting it to the tap outlet, it doesn't seem to be sealing properly and water is leaking. 

If you compare the valve from our existing pipe to the new one, it looks like the black rubber seal is smaller and also sitting below the ridge, so it makes sense why it is not sealing properly. 

Did I buy the wrong hose?

Is there a simple fix? Threading tape? A different hose/connection? Plumber??

I know the easiest solution is to make the hole in the cupboard bigger but trying to avoid that as it's a rental. 

Thanks in advance! 

PXL_20220626_212627427.jpg

PXL_20220628_021027495.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with washing machine inlet connection

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ren_B. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a washing machine hose.

That new hose should fit; it's just a slightly different way of holding the washer. Did you use a tool to tighten it onto the wall fitting? Since you don't have the wings, I suggest you won't have enough grip on the hose fitting to tighten it by hand.

Thread tape won't work on this type of fitting. The thread tape will seal the thread, but you'll find water then starts to leak through the gap where the hose travels into the end fitting.

It doesn't look like much care was taken place the existing hole in the cabinetry. Perhaps if you were to drill a slightly larger and neater hole, it would be an improvement.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ren_B
Getting Established

Thanks so much for the reply and the useful insight! Don't have a tool for tightening but will get my hands on one! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated and reach out again if tightening with a tool doesn't work. We'll come up with another solution for you.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ren_B

Just to add to the excellent suggestions made by my colleague @MitchellMc. I recommend putting in Kinetic 12mm and 19mm Nut and Tail Washers to seal the gap between the washing machine tap and the hose. I also suggest using a Multigrip Plier to tighten the washing machine hose onto the tap. Please keep in mind that over-gripping the head and overtightening will damage the washing machine's hose head.

If by chance you have a cordless drill, you can make the existing hole bigger and tidier hole in the panel to allow you to use your original hose. I propose using Craftright 16 Piece Holesaw Set to give you a nice finish on the hole. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects