Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix this dripping tap?

RuthB
Just Starting Out

How do I fix this dripping tap?

17064046479798791922209247516442.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix this dripping tap

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RuthB. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about solving a leaking tap.

The best place to start would be reading through this helpful guide: How to replace a tap washer

Have a read-through, and let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks, I'd seen that and it's a great start. My taps don't have a cap on to remove and I can't get them off the wall, so I'm unsure how to reach the washer!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RuthB 

I understand that it looks like your tap handle does not have a cap but is so well installed that it looks like it is a single piece of plastic. If you look really closely, you'll find a very fine line in the clear top where the clear cap has been pressed against the body of the handle.   

I propose trying this technique. I recommend putting on some safety gloves and goggles get a sharp steak knife and slip the tip in between the line and see if you can lift the clear cover cap on the handle. Please note that some scratching will occur so please be careful not to apply too much force. Once you get it started you can move the knife along the line to lift the cap.

If it is a large silver cap, I recommend placing the knife at the edge of the silver cover and lifting it from there. However, if you are still having difficulty, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the top of the handle? This will give our members a chance to assess the handle. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects