Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I make a frame for old casement windows?

PaulaD
Getting Established

How do I make a frame for old casement windows?

I want to put these old casement windows in a bathroom.

how do I make a new frame for them?

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I make a frame for old casement windows?

Hello @PaulaD 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a window frame for your old casement windows. 

The thickness of your window frame depends greatly on the thickness of your wall. It's got to have the proper overhang inside and outside your wall. It has to have channels and falls cut into it so that rain does not sit on the sill. A recess has to be cut so that the windows sit inside the frame and not over it. This will prevent draughts from passing through the edge gap of the window.

If this is your first D.I.Y. project, I recommend engaging the services of a carpenter or handy person who has experience and has built a window frame from scratch. The frame has to be square and precise so that when the doors are installed it will not be out of alignment. Using the services of a carpenter means that you won't have to buy expensive tools to cut and rebate the timber.

The other option is to buy a premade frame from the store. I suggest having a look at this brochure from Stegbar Windows and Doors. It can be ordered as a custom size, but please make sure to double check the size of your windows side by side. If you're interested, I suggest taking the measurements of your window and speaking to the special orders team. You can ask them for a quote on the timber window frame. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects