Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Want a custom-sized acrylic splashback

Calderra
Just Starting Out

Want a custom-sized acrylic splashback

Hi I want a simple acrylic splashback to go around 2 sides of a bathroom vanity/sink top.

7500mm x 500mm

is it possible to get this?

any help greatly appreciateddownload.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Want a custom-sized acrylic splashback

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Calderra. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about acrylic splashbacks.

You could use a Bellessi 145 X 2440 4mm Polymer Kickboard for your splashback. It's 145mm tall and should be around the correct height. You will need to cut it down to suit your 500 and 750mm lengths, which can be done with a circular saw.

Here's the Bellessi catalogue for your reference.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

G'day Mitchell.

"which can be done with a circular saw."

I watched the Bunnings clip on cutting acrylic splash-back - and gave it a go.

Could be my saws.

Could be my blades.

Could be me.

All of the above.

But the edges left were awful. In the end for a a small fee I got a plastics factory to cut it, and the power-point holes on a CNC machine. Perfect edges.

My question is - have you tried cutting acrylic with a router? If your cutting speed is inconsistent - could the acrylic 'melt?'

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

The last time I cut acrylic, I set my blade to barely exist on the rear side, used a thin kerf high tooth count blade and taped the front and back sides of the acrylic. The cut was nice, except for a few dags that melted themselves back to the edge. Those were easily removed with some light sanding.

I haven't tried cutting with a router, but if everything were set up just right, I'd imagine it would work well. Heat being generated by a blade or bit appears to be quite a factor in the finish of the cut. If you cut too quickly, you could crack the acrylic, and if you cut too slowly, you could melt it. There's likely a bit of a Goldilocks zone that you need to stay within.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects