Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I resurface shower pan?

quaz4
Finding My Feet

How do I resurface shower pan?

Hi all,

I've been doing up my old bathroom over a period of time and I've noticed some chips in my shower pan so I thought it was time give it some love.

I've been trying to work out what material it's made of so I can apply the correct product for the job.

Does anyone have any ideas?

PXL_20221121_051254986.jpg

PXL_20221121_051307451.jpg

timjeffries
Making a Splash

Re: How do I resurface shower pan?

Very keen to hear about this. I've got a shower base that is cracked and needs repair but I'd rather not pull it out completely if I don't have to.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @quaz4

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your shower pan.

It seems that whatever surface covering your shower pan had, it has delaminated and deteriorated in a uniform manner. Would you happen to remember if this was originally covered in a white PVC material? I suspect that the hard material underneath the cracked surface is the fibreglass foam filler. 

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid this shower tray needs to be replaced. The amount of damage that it's showing leads me to believe that it has been exposed to very harsh chemicals which have stripped it of its protective coating. Thus resulting in this type of cracking damage on its surface. 

I suggest measuring the tray's overall size and the position of the drain. I then propose visiting your local store and seeing which one will match up with your existing tray. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @timjeffries

If the damage is similar, I'm afraid it will need to be replaced. The next stage will be the stripping of the final laminate layer and the fibreglass filler will reveal itself and leaks will start to form as the foam starts to degrade without its shell covering. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KevinMall
Making a Splash

That pan will have to come out. It's well past it's use by date unfortunately.

Remember too that sooner or later the waterproofing qualities that the pan did have will deteriorate too thus potentially impacting the flooring/base underneath.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects