Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I tidy up this toilet seat / cistern / plate join?

hayley_v
Finding My Feet

How do I tidy up this toilet seat / cistern / plate join?

Hi, I have just replaced our pretty standard Caroma seat with a family seat, now I'm left with an ugly looking join. Is there a simple fix for this? I can see connection plates, but they seem to be longer for the newer toilets...seat.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I tidy up this toilet seat / cistern / plate join?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hayley_v. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

The style of toilet seat you have there is designed to suit close coupled toilet suites which don't have exposed pipework to cover. The current cover plate has been cut down to size (they are longer than needed) as it slid into the back of your previous toilet seat. You can buy a Caroma Cistern Connector Plate separately if you want to try and cut it closer so it doesn't leave such a large gap. However, as mentioned this style of toilet seat is not designed to have a cover plate slid into the back of it.

I have the exact issue you are experiencing and decided to just remove the cover plate completely and have the exposed pipework.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you! I thought that may have been the case with the older/newer seat. Appreciate the reply and will take another look and see what I want to do with it now.

Hi again @MitchellMc - at the risk of sounding silly - what tool is best to use to cut the connector?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@hayley_v,

That's not a silly question at all. It would be best to use a style of handsaw with a relatively fine tooth like a tenon saw. Alternatively, you could use a jigsaw if you had one on hand. I would suggest clamping a straight piece of timber across where you want to cut and follow that with the saw. This will prevent the saw from slipping and leaving noticeable marks on the new plastic.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects