Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you remove this style of tap?

Mascalzone
Finding My Feet

How do you remove this style of tap?

I'm wanting to update the taps in my 70's inspired house, the original ones are just too hard to turn on and off but I don't understand how they are removed, under the top cap is a bolt and nut. Even if I take the nut off, the bolt just turns with the tap and then comes to a stop when it's fully open, how do you unscrew these? 

In the kitchen it gets a bit stranger still, no nuts on the bolts, just a 8 pointed star washer sitting over the bolt.

Thanks!

Kitchen TapKitchen Tap20230614_110934.jpgStrange 8 pointed star washer sitting over boltStrange 8 pointed star washer sitting over boltHi,

20230614_102740.jpg20230614_102749.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you remove this style of tap?

Hello @Mascalzone 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about your tapware.

The nut in the middle can be removed by using a socket set or long nose pliers. Once the nut is out, you'll be able to pull the handle up and out. However, if the handle is stuck, I suggest spraying it with WD40 in the middle and rocking the handle left and right to loosen up the calcium deposits that have anchored itself between the spindle and the handle.

You'll feel the handle slowly coming loose and that should be enough to allow you to pull the handle upwards. On the off chance that the handle will not budge, please post a photo of the centre of the handle with the nut removed. This will allow our members to assess its assembly. We can then make recommendations on how to remove it.

Please make sure to wear gloves while attempting to pull the handle up. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do you remove this style of tap?

Thanks Eric!

I will give it a try soon, the threaded bolt seems VERY attached to the handle on all of my taps, I will post a pic if I cannot get the tap off.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects