Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you restore a moulded vanity top, flat surface fine, basin is crackling on surface

Vamarie
Finding My Feet

How do you restore a moulded vanity top, flat surface fine, basin is crackling on surface

CCB1FB88-8663-4A15-8656-53E9D76FCBB9.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do you restore a moulded vanity top, flat surface fine, basin is crackling on surface

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Vamarie. It's great that you've joined us, and thanks for reaching out with your question for the community.

Let me mention @MitchellMc who may be able to offer advice. Just note that he'll be back on the site on Friday to help with any questions.

Look forward to hearing more about your projects around the house and garden.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do you restore a moulded vanity top, flat surface fine, basin is crackling on surface

Hello @Vamarie 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. In this instance we must look at the over all picture. Is the vanity top of a special size? 675mm? 725mm? 833mm? If it is or it has a special shape or color that prevents you from replacing it then yes you can restore it. But be warned that the price of restoration may be even more than buying a new vanity top.

If it is special :

The vanity top has to removed completely from the cabinet and sanded down to remove the cracks that have appeared.

Once it is sanded and flat, it must be washed to remove all the fine plastic dust.

When it is dry you can use Rust-o-leum plastic primer and then paint it with Rust-o-leum plastic paint.

WARNING : Although it may look brand new and flawless it does not carry any of the vanity tops strength and toughness. It is a cosmetic fix only and any rough use on the vanity basin will strip the paint off. You could have it professionally re sprayed with automotive paint but even that will not last as it is meant for steel surfaces only. This particular avenue will cost a lot of money.

If it is a regular sized vanity.

A regular Estilo 900mm vanity top starts at @$124 dollars.

Have a ponder and post any questions you might have and we will try to answer them as best we can.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Vamarie,

It's great to see @redracer01 has given some fantastic advice on your project. Can I please confirm what the vanity top is made from? Is it a moulded plastic, fibreglass, ceramic or porcelain top? Depending on the age, it might be worth using an Instant Lead Test Kit before beginning to sand the basin. That way, if there is lead present in the paint, you can take adequate precautions during the sanding process. If it was a ceramic, porcelain or fibreglass basin, you could potentially use a product like the Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing Kit.

I'd agree with @redracer01 that you should consider whether a new vanity would be a more viable solution. I've painted my vanity basin before, and it only had a limited lifetime before becoming damaged again.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

The top is either plastic or fibreglass, moulded top and basin all in one piece. The flat surface is perfect, only part o the basin has crackling appearance, very fine lines

The vanity top is 900 mm  x 460 mm, with central moulded basin, two taps and central tap spigot

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If it's plastic @Vamarie, you could certainly follow @redracer01's advice to rejuvenate it. As he's mentioned, it will be a temporary solution but could improve the look until you settle on a new vanity. What's the condition of the cabinet? If it's perfect, then fixing the basin might be an option worth pursuing. However, with the cost of paint and the effort involved, I'd certainly recommend checking out whether swapping it for an Estilo 900mm White Polymarble Vanity Top 1TH is an option.

Mitchell

Thank you Mitchell, the cabinet is in perfect condition as is the top apart fro the lower part of the basin. I think that I may try a speciality paint. The vanity you suggest has had a bad write up regarding staining

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects