Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much should washing machine taps be turned on?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

How much should washing machine taps be turned on?

Hey guys, 

might be a stupid question but I have an issue with laundry taps. Plumber came and changed washers etc I keep taps on at the wall at all times but I’ve noticed that I’m getting air pockets and banging on other taps because of the washing machine taps. Not sure if this is pressure related. 

so the question is, how far should the taps be turned on? I assume the plumber changed this and could be the cause? I currently have them turned 4 times each. 

thank you.

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

Re: laundry taps

Hey guys, me again lol

i wanted to reach out and say thanks fir everyone’s help.

I had another 🙄 issue and called a plumber. The hot water was such low pressure on all taps. It was still having hot water just pressure really low and took a while to heat up.

Plumber came out and replaced the temp valve and this looks to have settled the water hammering issue. It’s only been two days but I thought it was interesting and maybe can help someone else.

Re: laundry taps

That's great to hear, @Newgreenthumb and many thanks for coming back with the additional information. Please keep us updated in case any other unusual activity arises.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

new hot water system causing possible noise

Hello, 

I’ve posted a few times about a water hammer issue. Finally resolved! However, I needed a new hot water system as mine died. Plumber came and installed the new one and have water again, great!

however, now when the toilet is flushed, at the end of its cycle, I hear a loud thump or two, on the other side of the house in the laundry area.

also, turning on the cold water in bathroom, there is a bang / open sound I hear in the laundry also. These were not happening before the new hot water system. I let the plumber know but he says that’s fine and brushed it off. 

Re: new hot water system causing possible noise

That sounds like an annoying problem @Newgreenthumb .

Did the new hws require altering the pipes in the laundry area? I am wondering if there is a pipe anchoring point that has been removed or loosened, allowing the pipes to clunk where they turn a corner.  Another possibility is that the plumber has turned the water on at the main tap further than it was before. Is there a pressure regulator fitted?  Yet another possibility is that there is now air in the pipes that needs flushing out. Toilet cisterns are not great for flushing out air because they fill slowly.

Re: new hot water system causing possible noise

Hi @Newgreenthumb,

Although you are hearing noises in different areas of the house, this all sounds like a continuation of the issues you were experiencing earlier. I'd encourage you to follow the advice provided in this discussion and look to install water hammer arrestors in your property. If you're turning something on or off and you hear a noise elsewhere or at that tap location, it's because of surging waves travelling through your pipes. Water hammer arrestors are like springs that absorb those shock waves and prevent them from slamming into the end of the pipes and creating noise.

As @TedBear has mentioned, since you've had the hot water heater installed, you must also check for that trapped air again.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects