Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach washing machine to kitchen tap as and when needed?

ShelleyBean
Growing in Experience

How to attach washing machine to kitchen tap as and when needed?

I don't have a dedicated space for a washing machine in my unit, so I would need to hook it up to the kitchen sink as and when I need it. I have been advised that this can be achieved by an adaptor (Like this one) on my kitchen sink tap and the drain pipe also hooked over the kitchen sink.

How do I know what size adaptor will fit my tap? I unscrewed the aerator and measured it. Looks to be around 2.5cm. Engraved on the part is "neoperl Perlator HC PCA 7.0l" I found this manufacturer's website but can't really make head nor tail of it!

Any ideas what product in Bunnings will be suitable for this task? Also, how about the hook to hook the drain pipe over the sink... Do they come with the machine or will I have to purchase that separately?

20200722_130505 (FILEminimizer).jpg20200722_130517 (FILEminimizer).jpg20200722_130626 (FILEminimizer).jpg 

ShelleyBean
Growing in Experience

Re: How to attach washing machine to kitchen tap as and when needed?

UPDATE: I'm actually now very confused because I just phoned Bunnings and spoke to someone in the plumbing department. He told me, "there is no adaptor big enough to attach a washing machine to a kitchen tap, the ONLY way to do it is under the sink with a Y splitter".

That's a complete lie - there are plenty of YouTube videos like this one that says it is very possible. I just need help with exactly what adaptor to get - what it's called and what size I need. 

Why are Bunnings staff lying to customers?? 😠

Hi @ShelleyBean,

Sorry to see you're upset and confused. I'm sure the Bunnings team member was doing his absolute best to assist and let you know that to the best of his knowledge there isn't a product available in Bunnings stores that will meet your needs. I note that the video you reference is American, which can be a problem when researching on YouTube as local products and requirements can differ. 

I will ask the ever-helpful @MitchellMc to assist you when he is back on the site tomorrow. Many thanks for your patience in the meantime. Let me also tag helpful members @LePallet and @redracer01 to see if they might like to share their thoughts on solutions for you.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ShelleyBean
Growing in Experience

Thank you @Jason 

The Team member was adamant that there was no such item for this task (either in Bunnings or otherwise). I have posted my problem in another forum in Australia, where there are plumbers/DIY people and they said there is definitely such a thing. In my OP, there is a link to one actually on Bunnings website. All I wanted to know is if this was the right size for my tap. I hope someone can help me with this.

Hello @ShelleyBean 

Below are the parts you will need to connect your washing machine to your sink mixer. The kit is generic but I reckon you have a 90% chance of it fitting in to your existing tap. Good luck and stay safe. Tell us if it works!

Cheers,

Red

The middle ring is the one that goes on first followed by the ring on the right (2nd).The middle ring is the one that goes on first followed by the ring on the right (2nd).Make sure to put plumbers tape on the (2nd ring) before screwing this on to it. You can the put more plumbers tape to this before attaching the washing machine hose.Make sure to put plumbers tape on the (2nd ring) before screwing this on to it. You can the put more plumbers tape to this before attaching the washing machine hose. 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi @ShelleyBean,

I just wanted to add that the product @redracer01 has recommended is the one I would have suggested to you. To the best of my knowledge, this is the most appropriate product in our range to suit your purpose. As redracer01 has mentioned there are a few different thread patterns, but there is a very high chance that this product will fit and solve your issue.

Please let me know if you require further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Thank you everyone for your help. In the end, I decided to just hire a plumber to come and sort it out for me. I pretty much ran out of clean clothes and had other things to get on with. Also trying to go out as little as possible and avoid public transport at the moment, so figured on this occasion it was the right thing to do. Not cheap though ($200 later)! But at least I know I won't flood my kitchen with some dodgy first-time-DIYer setup 🤠

No worries, thanks for letting us know @ShelleyBean.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime need assistance with a project around the house and garden. We're here to help.

Jason

Hi! I'm trying to do this right now, and I purchased the adaptor kit, but I cannot find a piece that couples it to the washing machine hose! Could you or anyone from Bunnings advise??

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @diynovice. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a washing machine.

If the 15mm thread on the adaptor kit is too small for your washing machine hose, then you can change it to 20mm with a Brasshards 20 x 15mm Brass Threaded Hex Reducing Bush. You'll need to apply some thread tape before joining the fittings.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects