Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an accessible shower?

Juliareed56
Getting Established

How to build an accessible shower?

Hi, is it possible to replace our current shower cubicle with a larger shower area with just shower curtains and a self draining floor, suitable for a disabled person? We also need to replace the shower fittings and vanity. Can we use the wet walls panels for the shower walls and VJ panels elsewhere in the room? Can we do this ourselves and just get a tiler for the new, sloping floor? It's the only bathroom in the house (no ensuite)..?

Many thanks for any help 🙂

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build an accessible shower?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Juliareed56, we're pleased to have you join us. 

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your bathroom and ideally also a simple sketch of the current layout and its dimensions? Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be more than happy to assist you with this project if you can provide more information. 

We look forward to seeing how you can transform your bathroom. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Juliareed56

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building an accessible shower.

Most of what you've mentioned is definitely possible, however,  the process of conversion will have to be carried out by a registered plumber. To save on the project, you could do the demolition yourself and if you have the experience, possibly install the wet wall panels. Some states require that a registered plumber or tradesperson apply the waterproofing as this has to be signed off and submitted to the council. 

Would it be possible for you to tell us more about the person using the shower? Are they using a wheelchair? Are they still able to transfer themselves from the wheelchair to a shower chair? Do they need full ambulatory assistance? What is the current size of the shower room? If you can provide these details, I'll be able to give you more recommendations concerning the conversion of the shower area.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Juliareed56
Getting Established

Hi, thanks for your really quick response. I've attached some photos of the existing bathroom [I hope!] and it is 2100 x 2500 - not very big. We have a low-set house on a concrete slab so there's no opportunity to change the underfloor plumbing. We therefore want to keep the bath where it is [we'll paint that ourselves] and buy a new vanity - preferably a wall-mounted one. The current vanity is 450 x 900, though there is enough room before the bath to change for a 1200 wide vanity. 

The main change would be the removal of the existing shower cubicle [900 x 900] and changing the tap fittings to include a hand-held shower & mixer - if possible. I envisage an L-shaped shower rod and 2 curtains covering an open showering space of 1800 x 1800 & the curtains pushed back to the walls when not in use, thereby giving more 'walking space' in the room than we currently have. I realise that any new flooring will need to slope towards the existing drain in the shower. 

I am mobility impaired and currently just require a shower chair. In a 900 square shower it is almost impossible to safely shower myself. There is a very real chance that I will lose more mobility in the future & require a wheelchair on a daily basis, but at the  moment I will be able to manage if the shower space is larger. I need a hand-held shower handle for when I'm sitting and if possible a sizeable wall recess and built-in seat in the new shower. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Many thanks for your help

Julia

Taken from doorwayTaken from doorwayTaken from doorway - bath to remain where it is.Taken from doorway - bath to remain where it is.New shower curtain to come almost to the doorNew shower curtain to come almost to the doorIMG_20220428_100310_3.jpgIMG_20220428_100326_3.jpgIMG_20220428_100345_3.jpgIMG_20220428_100410_3.jpg

Juliareed56
Getting Established

Hi Eric, I have just replied, with photos, to Jason above and I think I've answered all your questions there as well. Thank you for taking an interest and for any help you are able to give me.

Kind regards

Julia

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Juliareed56

My apologies for the late reply. Thank you so much for providing those extra details of your shower. Please give me some time to sketch up a new layout for your shower. As soon as I finish the drawing, I will post it here as soon as possible.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Juliareed56 

I'm sorry this took a while, but I believe this will cover most of your plans to create an accessible shower for yourself. The two items that need to be removed are your shower and your vanity. The bath stays in its original position. The shower-liner and floor covering will need to be removed as well. I suggest re-orienting the showerhead to the left-hand sidewall. This will prevent any accidental overspray from going outside the shower room.

If you're building for future needs, The vanity will have to be wheelchair friendly hence no cabinets can be placed underneath. The biggest job will be the re-levelling of your floor to create a fall towards your drain. If you're lucky there might be a fall already in place, but if not you will have to have it made.

Unfortunately, there is not enough space for an 1800mm x 1800mm closed curtain area. With the curtains drawn back, the entire opening will be around 1400mm x 1650. However, the curtain rail will only allow you to use a space of 750mm x 1650mm. As for the tiling, I suggest using large 600 x 300 tiles for fewer grout lines to clean. 

Just keep in mind that you'll need to waterproof not only the walls but the floor as well. I've placed product recommendations on the sketches, if you have any other questions or wish to see the sketch in another configuration, please let me know.

Eric

Juliareed56 bathroom1.jpgJuliareed56 bathroom2.jpgJuliareed56 bathroom3.jpgJuliareed56 bathroom4.jpgJuliareed56 bathroom5.jpgJuliareed56 bathroom6.jpgJuliareed56 bathroom7.jpg

Juliareed56
Getting Established

Hi and thank you very much for the suggestions and going to the trouble to do these drawings to give me a clear picture of hat we can do with our bathroom renovations. That is pretty much how I imagined it could be, except I was wanting to use the waterproof wall sheeting instead of tiles - for ease of cleaning etc. Unfortunately we can't change the entry door as there is no wall space for a sliding door. I much prefer to have the shower on the left-hand wall as you suggest...would this be a big job to re-locate? The left hand wall is the side wall of the toilet..

Now all I have to do is find a plumber and a tiler...any suggestions??

Many thanks again for your trouble

Warm regards, Julia

I'm glad you found @EricL's renderings useful @Juliareed56.

Relocating the plumbing will be a less involved job than installing it from scratch. This plumbing work can be completed prior to the installation of your new waterproof wall sheeting.

You might like to search for a qualified installer through sites like hipages.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, I wasn't actually going to relocate the plumbing - just replace the vanity and replace the shower cubicle with shower rails and curtains and new fittings. The only thing I really need a tradesman to do is to ensure that the floor slope is suitable for a new floor waste/drain. When we remove the shower cubicle will we need to waterproof the walls or are those 'wet walls' sheets sufficient? 

Many thanks for responding, Julia

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects