Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect a washing machine hose to a basin tap?

SG-
Getting Established

How to connect a washing machine hose to a basin tap?

Hi,

I would like to connect a threaded washing machine hose to a wash basin tap without threading. Wondering if there are any adapters that would work. Your support is highly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_20240127_121651_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240127_121645_HDR.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Adapter

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SG-. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting to a tap spout.

Unfortunately, that spout doesn't have a threaded aerator, so there's nothing for us to start adapting from. Are you able to access the plumbing work under the sink? There would be a far better chance of attaching your washing machine inlet hose there. If you can access that plumbing work, could you take a picture of us so we can assess whether that would make a suitable connection point?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SG-
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and prompt reply. I have attached the requested picture. I saw an adaptor online which might work. I have attached a picture of it. My knowledge on plumbing is very limited. Kindly advise if that would work and if Bunnings has them. My knowledge on plumbing is very limited.

Regards,

Gayathri.

IMG_20240128_155853_HDR.jpg

shopping.jpeg

  

Nailbag
Making a Splash

This looks like a possible DIY solution if you can get enough of the end of your tap within the rubber seal for a leak free connection. Remember the connection will be under on/off water pressure during the washing machine cycles and it might be risky leaving it unattended. A better solution would be to use a licences plumber to make up a split connection where the braided hose is connected to with an isolation tap for the washer. Only a plumber can legally do this work to be covered by your insurance. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

As @Nailbag has mentioned, @SG- it would be best to have a permanent connection made where that plumbing connection is in your most recent image. Connectors like the one you've shown run a significant risk of popping off and then potentially flooding your home. They are certainly not to be left unattended. I believe we kept a similar connector at one stage, but it has now been phased out.

Mitchell

SG-
Getting Established

Hi,

Thank you very much. Will do that.

SG-
Getting Established

Thank you Mitchell 

SG-
Getting Established

Re: How to connect a washing machine hose to a basin tap?

Just wanted to share that I found a solution, connected the washing machine inlet hose to the garden hose using a 20 mm 3" Brass THR Hex Nip and it works perfectly without any leaks. I ran the washing machine about 5 times now and the connection seems to be intact. Hope it remains safe and doesn't cause any problems 🤞

IMG_20240130_193040_HDR.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SG- 

I'm glad you found another source of water for your washing machine. Just a friendly reminder to always check your garden hose clip connectors are tight as they are only being held in place by three plastic clips inside. The sudden activation of the washing machines solenoid causes a great deal of back pressure and might accidentally push the clips apart.

My best advice is to always keep an eye out when your washing machine is active and is washing a load.

Eric

SG-
Getting Established

Hi @EricL,

True. I will make sure to be vigilant. I'm also looking at finding studier options meanwhile.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects