Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert shower to a mini laundry?

Bec78
Just Starting Out

How to convert shower to a mini laundry?

Hi, looking for advice on how to fill in the gap left by removing the shower hob as I want to remove shower entirely and install washing machine and laundry tub in the space. I’ve bought a laundry tub from Bunnings and booked a plumber for tap conversion but having trouble working out if we can just tile the gap with a border tile? Or another solution? On a budget? Thanks 

FE6A1754-FA90-4264-951A-E1C95A54FC60.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to convert shower to a mini laundry?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bec78. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tiling.

You could tile the area with a border tile, but I can see a couple of issues. First, you'll need to remove the tile adhesive/cement from that area to create enough depth, so the new tile finishes flush with the existing. If the entire bathroom is waterproofed as it should be per code, you'll likely damage the waterproofing in the process. A laundry is also considered a wet area and requires waterproofing according to the Australian Building code. This will be picked up on in an inspection report if you decide to sell in the future. It's just something to be aware of. You'll also need to find a border tile that comes close to the width of the gap. 

Next, your shower floor is not flat as it's graded towards the drain. So, when you place your washing machine or tub in the area, it will not sit on a flat surface. This might not be so much of an issue.

Although you are doing this on a budget, I think it might be worth considering removing the tiles from the shower area, sourcing some matching tiles, using self-levelling cement on the area and retiling. That will give you a far superior result to using border tiles and would still be reasonably budget-friendly. Here's a step-by-step guide you'll find useful: How to lay floor tiles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for this advice and after I had the plumber out today to look at the tap conversion, he said exactly the same. So I’m getting all the taps fixed first which will involve removing the entire shower floor to get to the pipes underneath. But thank you for your response. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bec78 

Would it be possible for you to tell us how much space you've allocated for your laundry? Will you be using the entire room as a laundry? If you are, can you please tell us the dimensions of the room? I know you are on a budget, but perhaps if you lay the foundations for an ongoing laundry update, you can have a great-looking laundry after a period of time.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects