Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover tiles with raised designs?

Schteph
Just Starting Out

How to cover tiles with raised designs?

Hi! Our bathrooms have 90s tiling which includes a strip of feature tiles (as well as a couple of single accent tiles) which have raised portions to create designs of hibiscus flowers. I'd really like to just paint over the tiles for a simple refresh, but don't want these designs. As they're raised (not etched) I can't fill them in with an epoxy or similar. I'm assuming I shouldn't sand/grind them back either because of the risk of silicosis? Waterproof wall panels could be an option; however would introduce extra work as I'd need to adjust the door frame as currently tiles sit almost flush with it and covering them would create a difference of about 10mm. 

I'm just wondering if there's any other options for me that I haven't considered? I want to avoid removing the tiles as I don't want the expense of re-waterproofing. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover tiles with raised designs?

Hello @Schteph 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your tiled wall.

It looks like you've had a real good think about this and from what you've mentioned it seems that you've covered most of the possible avenues that you could go into. 

Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of your tiled wall? This will give our members a chance to see what the feature tiles look like. 

From a painting perspective if you were to paint the feature tiles white or the same colour as the existing tiles it would probably not stand out so much, but it will still be noticeable because of the raised portions.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving, @redbournreno and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Schteph
Just Starting Out

66F23136-6C25-4F7B-933B-322C1FD681AA.jpeg

2E3F2BCB-61F4-4E71-AA67-C252FF718821.jpeg

  

Hi Eric, 

Thank you for the response. I’ve attached some images. It’s not too easy to see, but the designs are definitely raised from the tile, not etched. 

90E4652C-FC70-48D0-A023-8F9AF49FA797.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Schteph 

Thanks for posting photos of your tiled wall. I believe that once you paint the tile wall the embossed tiles will not look too imposing. The uniform colour of the wall should lessen its impact and it will just become an accent which will compliment your shower wall.

Let me call on our experienced members @Alyce_Pham and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

Hi @Schteph 

I completely understand your predicament as I faced a similar one when giving my ensuite a makeover. I also considered all options and found for me the cheapest, quickest and easiest option where I could DIY was to paint over the feature tiles. I had a dark brown feature strip in my shower that really stood out, but once painting over it it's hardly noticeable anymore. Only when you stand close can you see the variations. 

I opted for the Dulux renovation range when painting my ensuite and over the feature tiles and was extremely happy with the overall results.

I'll attach a couple pics below showing my before and afters of the ensuite and the feature tiles in the shower. 

Wishing you the best of luck with the rest of your renovations. 

thumbnail_IMG_2556.jpgbathroom-makeover-1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Alyce_Pham 

Thank you very much for sharing those photos of your painted bathroom. Those painted tiles blend right in with your freshly painted walls. I totally can't see the small feature tiles at all. I believe the same thing will happen once @Schteph paints their bathroom tiles. It will only be visible at very close range.

Eric

Hi Alyce, 

Did you go to the trouble of pre-scraping and then replacing the grout afterwards, or just paint over top with that product?

Cheers, Sam. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Sam (@Spam). It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this wonderful project.

Let me tag @Alyce_Pham so they are alerted to your question, and hopefully, they can provide further information on their project. 

It appears they've only painted the wall tiles in white and likely would have painted over the grout lines.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects