Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaking deep-seated basin spindles?

glenn4
Just Starting Out

How to fix leaking deep-seated basin spindles?

Replaced leaking basin washers three times (different types), ground the seat still leaking.  Replaced with new deep seated spindles, still leaking. will try deep seated, quarter turn taps.  Can't find them at Bunnings? Will replacing with deep seated, quarter turn taps work? Thanks Glenn

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deep seated quater / half turn basin spindles

Hello @glenn4 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your leaking basin taps.

This sounds quite serious as you have already performed two of the standard repair steps necessary to fix a leaking tap. If after replacing the washer and reseating the tap body and a leak still occurs, it's possible that the seat has a microfracture in it and is letting water to pass through. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to detect and impossible to repair.

If you wish to make one more attempt at repairing the tap, I suggest at having a look at the HydroSeal Tap Seat Replacement Kit. This kit will cut a threaded channel into the brass body which will allow you to screw in a new stainless-steel seat. However, there is the risk that the cutting tool will aggravate the fracture and damage the seat completely.

If you don't wish to take that risk, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. They will be able to remove the entire brass body and replace it with a new one. The best part is that the repair will be under warranty, and it is done to code which covers you for insurance.

I'm sorry but there is no guarantee that using a deep-seated quarter turn tap will stop the leak.         

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects