Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix peeling acrylic shower base?

Rocjo
Finding My Feet

How to fix peeling acrylic shower base?

I have discovered that my acrylic shower base is coated with plastic, which is starting to peel, so I have some questions to ask. Do i pull off the plastic? If I do, do I need to recoat the base with something and if so, what do I use?P1080774.JPGP1080775.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix peeling acrylic shower base?

Hi @Rocjo,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Do you have any more information about your shower base that might help members assist you? For example, do you know how old the base is? Could a previous owner have applied something on it as a repair? Do you know the manufacturer of the base?

It might also be helpful to see some wider photos of the whole base so members get a better idea of what you are working with.

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to assist as soon as possible. In the meantime, it would be great if you could provide a little more information for him and other members to assist. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rocjo
Finding My Feet

Hi Jason,

The shower base is probably 3 years old - not certain. It has not been used more than twice as it's in a 2nd bathroom. I had it installed.

Please see the added photo attached.P1080781.JPGP1080780.JPGP1080779.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is it possible that this was just plastic designed to protect the shower base during transportation, and should have been removed before installation @Rocjo?

If you could find the documentation from the purchase and it was a Bunnings product, we would be more than happy to confirm with the supplier. 

Jason

Rocjo
Finding My Feet

I have wondered whether it was meant to be peeled off as well. I'll check through my receipts to have that confirmed by the seller - which is probably Bunnings!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Rocjo,

I'd be inclined to be thinking along the same lines as @Jason that it's a protective coating. There's no reason I can see that a shower base that is three years old and has been used a couple of times would have a layer delaminating from it. I've also never come across an older acrylic base with peeling layers. My money is on its a protective coating that was never removed. 

If you come across a manufacturer name and it is one of ours, I'd be happy to confirm. Typically, most acrylic bases would have protective plastic on them when shipped that needs to be removed. The installer might just not have noticed it.

If it peels off relatively easily, I'd be happy for you to just remove it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks for that Mitchell. 

Yes it does come off easily - in fact it reminded me of peeling off sunburnt skin! However, the edges where the door is could be a problem and create a dirt trap I think. I'll need to put a fresh blade in the Stanley knife and be careful of the acrylic!

I'll post some photos from 'operation shower base' later FYI.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you going with it @Rocjo? Let us know if you need a hand.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects