Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix the chipped bathroom sink?

Lilau
Finding My Feet

How to fix the chipped bathroom sink?

Hello, 

Need professionals advices how I can fix the chipped bathroom sink (shown in photo). I was able to find the chipped part and sticked it back to the sink, this is however, it looks so ugly. Just wondering whether I can do to make the cracks not visible? Should I polish it or ...

Thank you very much in advance.

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-10 at 10.58.10 PM.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix the chipped bathroom sink?

Hi @Lilau

Thanks for sharing your question about how to fix your bathroom sink. It's great that you've managed to re-attach the broken piece back onto your basin. Unfortunately, the glue you used has started to gather mould and debris, hence you are getting that dark line around it. 

A quick way to repair this is to use dishwashing soap, some bleach and an old toothbrush. Put a few drops of soap and bleach onto the toothbrush and begin scrubbing the outline of the dirty area. Your goal is to remove all the blackness around the repaired piece until it is gone. Remove any excess glue that's still attached to the outside of the basin with a scraper. 

When the black outline has been removed seal the area using Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer. Please make sure that the area is totally dry before applying the sealer. This will prevent the porous surface of the cracked porcelain from gathering dust and dirt. It will be necessary to re-seal the area after a few months as vigorous cleaning will strip the sealer off.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lilau
Finding My Feet

Thank you very much Eric, my goal is try to make the chipped part not obvious, so just wondering whether there is any paint i can apply on the crack or should i sand the crack to become smooth before applying any paint?

I found a post that you suggested using PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste and  White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. Are these work on my case?

Thank you once again. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Lilau

Using PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste is definitely an alternative. You would have to put a very precise application of the epoxy paste over the crack. Please keep in mind that the epoxy paste is very off-white and almost grey when it cures. However, using the White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint is also a good option. 

Between the two, I recommend using the White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint to touch up the crack. It is the more compatible product for your basin repair.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects