Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to flatten iron nails?

Makita
Growing in Experience

How to flatten iron nails?

A handyman has installed a new door frame for us. However the iron nails are sticking out. The handyman is not going to fix the problem. How do I flatten the iron nails? I am thinking of using a hammer but it may chip the wood.  Thank you.

20230416_125855.jpg20230416_125920.jpg20230416_125931.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to flatten some small iron nails ?

Hi @Makita,

Sorry to hear your door frame has been left in a bit of a mess. You can use a nail punch to set nails below the surface of the wood without damaging the surrounding material. For those flat head nails, I'd recommend you use a square-tipped nail punch like this Trojan 5mm Nail Punch.

Hold the nail punch like a pen with the pointed end facing downwards. Place the pointed end of the nail punch on the head of the nail. Using a hammer, strike the flat end of the nail punch firmly and squarely to drive the nail into the wood. Keep tapping the nail punch until the nail head is just below the surface of the wood. Once the nail head is below the surface, you can use wood filler to cover the hole before sanding the filler smooth.

Remember always to wear protective gear such as safety glasses and gloves when performing this type of work.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Makita
Growing in Experience

Re: How to flatten some small iron nails ?

I'll give it a go. Thank you Mitchell.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects