Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install VJ without using nails?

isabellalowe
Just Starting Out

How to install VJ without using nails?

Laundry walls have asbestos and I can’t afford to remove it at the moment. Previous owners put stick on tiles half way up the wall and I can’t remove them without disturbing the asbestos and the tiles are starting to peel and expose the wall.

The only way I can fix this temporarily is to put panelling over the top. However, I can’t use nails without disturbing the asbestos. I tried using liquid nails but it wouldn’t hold (I’ll try the construction one next) but im not sure how to fasten it to the wall to dry without standing against it for hours. Any ideas?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to install VJ without using nails

Hello @isabellalowe 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing VJ panels without using nails.

One way to hold up the panel is to use a timber brace to lean into the panel while the adhesive is curing. Once the adhesive cures, you can remove the timber brace. Technically the nails are there to hold the panel in place until the adhesive dries up.

The general process is to attach a piece of timber onto the VJ panel near the top. This will serve as the anchor for the panel, another one is placed on the floor. The one on the floor will be the wedge and holds the brace in place. I've sketched up a sample diagram to give you an idea of how the brace can be anchored. 

Once the adhesive dries off the timber piece on the panel can be unscrewed.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to install VJ without using nails?

Hi @isabellalowe,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

I would also like to remind all readers never to take risks with asbestos to save money. Your health and the health of others around you is paramount. The Australian Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency asbestossafety.gov.au has a range of resources to be asbestos safe. You can watch their video, read their brochure designed for householders and home renovators to be asbestos safe, or give them a call on 1300 326 148 for advice and information.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to install VJ without using nails?

Hello @isabellalowe 

Ouch to a hairy question. 😕 However I do have an idea :smile: 

Firstly do you have a picture of the wall you are trying to mount the VJ panelling to? How far up the wall do the tiles go?

You could measure the depth of the stick on tiles and then run Thin battons (timber strips maybe 50mm wide) horizontaly across the wall and screw them to the studs behind it. That way you are not touching those tiles and the wall will be verticle overall. The liquid nails I would use down the bottom over the tiles or even once you know where the stud walls are screw a 90mm by 12mm timber strip throught the paneling and through the tiles to the stud walls like a kickboard along the base so the VJ panel wont fall away. (Just above the skirting board)

So all up think two horizonta strips above the tiles, and one thick horizontal strip to go over the VJ board along the bottom. Minimal disruption to the surface of the material and follow the safty instructions from @EricL and @Jason. If you cant picture it let me know and I will draw it up. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects