Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix dislodged mosaic tiles?

Daph
Finding My Feet

How to fix dislodged mosaic tiles?

I have an area in the laundry where the mosaic tiles have tented and some have already lifted off and come free. How can I fix it? Should I get it professionally done?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix old mosaic tiles that have tented and come loose?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Daph. It's tremendous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing dislodged tiles.

Would you be able to post a picture of the affected area? That way, our members would know what you're working with and be better able to offer advice. Let me know if you need any assistance with uploading images.

The first thing to do would be to check how well adhered the surrounding tiles are. If they are all falling off, you might need to keep removing them until you find secure ones. You can then go about adhering them back to the wall. Hopefully, a thin coat of tile adhesive should be enough to stick them back in place. Be careful not to apply too much, and it will cause them to become proud of the surrounding tiles. I recommend using Dunlop 250g White Ready To Go Tile Adhesive And Grout as not only is it a tile adhesive, but you can also use it to grout between the tiles.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to lay mosaic tiles.

I'll be looking forward to seeing some images and providing further assistance.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, 

the tiles are floor tiles, not wall ones. Some of the tiles around the original area are now comming loose as well. This is a well used area.

I (hopefully) have uploaded some photos. A friend of mine told me about a product called 'Fix a floor', however, apart from getting it on-line and how good it would be for small mosaic tiles, I have no idea.

Kind regards, Daph.Tiles 2.JPGTiles.JPGTiles1.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Daph 

Thank you so much for posting photos of your flooring. Just to add to the suggestions @MitchellMc has made, I recommend using a Trojan 6 In1 Multi Paint Scraper to scrape off the old adhesive on the floor. It might take you some time to remove it, but it will eventually come off.

Once the area is clean and flat, I suggest vacuuming off all the dust and debris before you begin your re-tiling repair. 

Let me tag @MitchellMc just in case he has anything else to recommend.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects