Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a cabinet in my laundry?

katty305
Just Starting Out

How to install a cabinet in my laundry?

I don’t have enough storage in the bathroom, and it looks quite untidy, so I would like to improve it by putting an upper cabinet above the washer machine, but I don’t have any experience, so I would appreciate your advice as it will be my first ever project.

Below is a photo of the current space for reference, as well as a picture of the cabinet style I have in mind. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Current spaceCurrent space

InspirationInspiration

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice wanted for laundry renovation to include an upper cabinet above the washer machine.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @katty305. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing cabinetry.

It appears that your inspiration picture might have some custom cabinetry in it, as I can't think of any off-the-shelf option that would resemble it. You can create your own shelves and cabinetry by using pre-drilled side panels and melamine panels for the top and bottom, shelves and doors. Using this method, you would need to cut all the panels up to the correct size, construct the carcass and install the shelves and doors. 

For a more straightforward approach, you should consider what premade cabinetry would fit in your space. You'd simply need to assemble it and then screw it into the studs in the wall. I can assist with selecting items for you. Could you please provide the space between the walls and the height from the top of the washing machine to the ceiling? Presuming you have the height, you could stack two 600mm wide wall cabinets on top of each other. 

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to install wall cabinets.

I'm keen to know the measurements you're working with and provide further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Advice wanted for laundry renovation to include an upper cabinet above the washer machine.

Hi MitchellMc,

I think I should follow your advice and install a premade cabinetry. The measurements are 1.53 H x 69W x 60D.

Thanks,

Katherine

PREVIEW

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Katherine (@katty305),

Many thanks for those measurements. You'll just squeeze in two wall cabinets with a little space to spare. Here's a rendering of what it might look like.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects