Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install wall panelling?

Mark270481
Growing in Experience

How to install wall panelling?

I am doing a DIY project in my Laundry space where I am looking at putting up a 3mm Melamine MDF panel on my wall . I have been advised that I can use Sellys holdup or Sellys Instant construction adhesive to adhere the panels to the wall however I was hoping that someone in this group can guide me on whether we will need nails/clamps to hold

down the panels while they cure .

The panels are really light but I have read on some blogs that nailing/clamping is needed during the cure period while others blogs say it’s not required as panels have very little weight ..would appreciate any and all advise /guidance from this group of experts  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wall Panelling advice

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mark270481. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing wall panelling.

Can you please tell us what brand of wall panelling you are using and what type of wall it will be affixed to? Following the manufacturer's guidance on installing their product would be best to ensure it complies with their warranty terms. If the product was something like this 2400mm x 1200mm x 3mm Melamine MDF White, that's designed for cabinetry backing, and there are no installation instructions for use as a wall sheet. Given it's a relatively lightweight sheeting, you might not find that fixings are required to hold it in place whilst the glue dries. However, I'd have some on hand just in case you need them.

Typically, panelling such as this  Easycraft 9 x 2400 x 1200mm easyVJ100 Primed General Purpose Wall Lining MR MDF E0 - 2400mm is used on walls, and you can find the manufacturer installation guide on their site. Their sheeting requires nail fixing at 500mm spacings and adhesive. This is for both a plaster over stud wall and masonry. In the case of a masonry wall, additional horizontal furring battens must be fixed to the masonry at 450mm centres before the panels are installed onto them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, the one that I am putting up on the wall is this one from inbuilt ,bought it from bunnings 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/2400mm-x-1200mm-x-3mm-melamine-mdf-drift-wood_p0093006?store=6404&gbraid...

The description on the bunnings website says  that it can be used for wall paneling . The wall is a standard plasterboard wall 

Hi @Mark270481,

Here are the installation guidelines for that product. The manufacturer recommends adhesive and nail fixings. This ensures the panel stays in the correct location whilst the adhesive dries. 

Mitchell

Thanks for the advice Mitchell ..I did use nails for the walls but not for putting the panel up on the ceiling and Sellys hold up held it up really well …unlike normal wood nails really show up when your using 3mm melamine sheets …am going to do the other pantry cupboard soon and will try without nails and see what it does …first time DIYer so learning a little at a time 

thought would also put a pic of the finished products any feedback /suggestions would be welcome 

IMG_1384.jpeg

It's great to hear you successfully installed the panels @Mark270481!

Many thanks for including the finished image; it looks sensational! Well done.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects