Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a box to hide laundry leads

tdoherty
Just Starting Out

How to make a box to hide laundry leads

I’d love to make a cover to hide my laundry leads which would sit over the taps. I’m guessing it’s just a case of nailing/gluing 4 panels of wood/plywood together. I have basically 0 diy knowledge so would appreciate if anyone has any tips on the easiest and cheapest way to do this, in terms of materials eg if I can use plywood, and tools needed.

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a box to hide laundry leads

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tdoherty. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a cover for your water pipes.

The timber you use will be governed by the distance your pipe work is proud of the wall. The most considerable obstruction will be the PVC connector funnelling wastewater from your washing machine. I suspect it will be around 100mm out from the wall, so 140 x 19mm DAR Pine Premium would be the next size above that. Our team can cut you two lengths slightly longer than the height from the top of your taps to the floor. You'll also need a section for the top the same width as your front face. For the front face, you could use a piece of 12mm plywood cut to the same height and width to suit the extremities of your pipe work. You'll also need PVA glue, 40mm timber screws, and a 4mm drill bit to pre-drill your screw holes.

I've created a few renderings below for you to help illustrate how to join the sections together. After it's assembled, you can paint the structure white to blend in with your tiles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

C1.pngc2.pngc3.pngc4.pngc5.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects