Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a fibreglass shower base?

Kirra
Just Starting Out

How to paint a fibreglass shower base?

What is suggested to paint a shower base that I believe is fibreglass (need to double check) thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting shower base

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kirra. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a fibreglass shower base.

Unfortunately, I am unaware of any D.I.Y.-friendly products designed to rejuvenate and paint your fibreglass shower base. It's the same issue with acrylic bases where the two-part paints are not suitable for non-rigid surfaces. Fibreglass and acrylic flex, and this can compromise the paint by causing it to delaminate. Products like White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint are only designed to coat over tiles or steel shower bases. 

It would be up to you if you would still like to try one of these systems, and there is a chance that it could work. If you do try, thoroughly clean down the surface and key it with some 180 grit sandpaper. This adds scratches to the surface and gives the paint something to bite into.

Remember your PPE when sanding and applying these products, including gloves, safety glasses and a face mask.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects