Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a shower base?

Lyn1950
Finding My Feet

How to paint a shower base?

What paint would I use in a shower tray?  I have read through some of the other questions and the tub and basin paint by White Knight was not suitable.  I prefer to use a can if possible as I don't want to use a brush but make a pattern.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plastic or like material shower base paint

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lyn1950. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about painting shower trays.

I presume your shower tray is either acrylic or fibreglass. To the best of my knowledge, the only trays which can be painted with our products are enamel-coated steel. Several factors, including changes in humidity, soap scum, submersion, and a flexible substrate, make paint adhesion difficult on acrylic or fibreglass trays. It really needs to be some type of epoxy two-pack paint suitable for submersion, and that generally isn't considered a DIY application.

What is the current condition of your shower tray? Is it just not a particularly pleasant colour, or are there marks and staining? If the latter, you could try to polish them out of the surface with a buffer and cutting compound.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your prompt reply Mitchell.  The tray has staining.  Not sure what has caused it.  I must admit I never thought of polishing the stains out.  What sort of product would I buy though as I have used this sort of thing on my car, but my Bunnings here doesn't carry any sort of car polishing products.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Could you post a couple of images for us @Lyn1950? Knowing the severity of the staining would help determine what type of polish/cutting compound to use.

Have you ever used Gumption Paste 750g Multipurpose Cleaner before? It's an abrasive cleaner that could be useful for cutting the surface back. Once the staining is removed, you can re-polish with Autosol 75ml Acrylic Polish. Something like this Bellessi Polish Kit could come in handy. The pad looks like it would be particularly effective at cutting the surface back in combination with Gumption.

Please bear in mind, though, that the staining could have penetrated quite deep. If it has moved deeper than just the surface, this cutting/polishing method might be ineffective.

Mitchell

I have heard of Gumption but never used it.  At least it gives me something to try thanks Mitchell.  I have posted a couple of photos for you, but next time I am in town I will get the Gumption.  Thank you for your help.20210816_095523.jpg20210816_095528.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Lyn1950,

Looking at those photos, I think you'll find some Gumption and elbow grease will remove the majority of that staining.

Please let us know if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects