Workshop
Ask a question

How to paint an aluminium shower frame?

ryleemurray
Just Starting Out

How to paint an aluminium shower frame?

Hi, 

wondering if I am able to paint the aluminium frame of my shower, inside and out. 
Is there a paint appropriate for aluminium and to withstand the wetness of inside the shower ? 

thanks in advance 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: painting shower glass frame

Good Morning @ryleemurray 

I am not too sure, I know they have paint for tiles and bathtubs. I will wait and see what the Bunnings people suggest as well :smile: Just wanted to say welcome to the Bunnings community. There are so many ways to do things I am sure one of us has triued what you want before :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint an aluminium shower frame?

Hello @ryleemurray 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your shower frame.

To answer your immediate question, yes, it's possible to paint your shower frame. However, the paint inside your shower will not have any guarantee on it. Due to the extreme moisture, heat and water immersion the paint will eventually fail.

The general steps to painting your shower frame include, masking the glass, floor and walls with masking tape and packing paper. This will protect it from accidental over spray. You then sand and prep the frame and clean it off before you start spray painting.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to repaint an aluminium shower screen? by @nonsibicunctis. Depending on the condition of your shower frame, it might be only necessary to sand the surface of the frame. Please have a look at the guide below.

Here is a link to our best advice: What is the best way to paint aluminium windows?

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint window frames

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects