Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-seal this shower?

TTD
Finding My Feet

How to re-seal this shower?

IMG_0109.jpeg

 Hello,

In this shower, there is a small gap where the shower door frame meets the tiles on the floor. I believe water is getting under this gap and manoeuvring it’s way to the wall on the left side of the photo (wall on the other side of the bathroom shows signs of water damage stemming right from the corner of this shower). 

What would be the best way to seal it up? It’s a bit too big to just put sealant straight in the gap. Also, the gap is not even as the tiles are on a slight slant. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to re-seal this shower?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TTD. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a shower frame.

That is quite a large gap you have there. I think using a wet-area silicone for this job is still possible, but you'll need to fill the gap in several stages to ensure it cures correctly. You typically don't want to make the beads larger than 10mm as it just takes too long to cure. We basically just need to seal the front edge between the frame and the tile, so you could pack out under the frame with a foam filler rod to prevent excess usage of the silicone. Once the area under the frame is filled, just apply one last thick bead of silicone to the front and run over it with a silicone scraper to make a neat cove and transition between the frame and tiles.

The only alternative that I can think of would be siliconing a small aluminium angle across the area. Apply a bead of silicone to the frame and one to the tiles right in the corner, and push the angle into the corner so it contacts both beads of silicone.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to re-seal this shower?

Thanks heaps!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects