Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refresh a melamime cabinet?

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

How to refresh a melamime cabinet?

I want to 'refresh' my bathroom without doing a reno and starting with the bathroom cabinet. It's structurally still sound and the granite top is in good condition but the melamime looks 'tired' and there are some slight stains. It looks like it's really solidly built into the space so I don't think replacement is an easy option. I was wondering if I could either a) paint the melamime or b) give it a facelift by replacing the drawer fronts and cupboard doors. Perhaps even with a timber look and perhaps a timber facing across the top. Love people's thoughts on options please.

I also have some very stubborn mould in the corners of my sliding shower screen so would apprecaite advice on the best product for its removal.

Cheers.

Tired old cabinetTired old cabinetSome makeup stainsSome makeup stainsCorner mould difficult to moveCorner mould difficult to moveMould 2.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Bathroom refresh on a melamime cabinet

Good morning @DIYHaveaCrack 

Welcome to Bunnings Community :smile: I thought I was looking at pictures of my bathroom! Same issues even.

I have been looking at "doing the bathroom" up for a few years and have a few ideas you may like.

With the cabinet. You could paint it, Id suggest a light sand of the melamime and then whatever paint you want. Fixing the lifting edges of melamine especially the draws is something I havnt tried but have seen people use an iron and a towel between the two to restick it. I am sure I have seen Melamine strips at bunnings. Yep just checked (Melamine strips) Bunnings also have standard sized cabinets that look easy to swap over. Do you know how your taps are connected under the cabinet?

For the mould/rust damage I have used an old toothbrush and bleach. Its not the greatest solution and think it can damage grout over a long usage type deal. If the damage has managed to eat through the paint then Id probarly ask the paint guys or maybe @MitchellMc or @EricL 

If your tiles are like mine and are that lovely cream colour there is a product I really want to have a go at using Tile paint There are a range of products for floor and wall instances. I was hesitant at first but there does not seem to be many bad reviews. Im definently going to give it a go before taking the rout of redoing the whol bathroom.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYHaveaCrack 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about refreshing your melamine cabinet.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using Dulux Renovation Range for your melamine cabinet. It's specifically designed to go on this type of material, it's water-based and easy to apply. 

Your bathroom vanity is the perfect candidate for a paint makeover. It's still in good structural condition and can still be repaired with a bit of sanding. If you are planning on changing the vanity top, it's important to choose the type of basin you'll be using for the top. Removing the top can be a bit tricky as it is sometimes glued to the cabinet itself. Excessive force could damage the cabinet when removing the top so please be careful.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Bathroom vanity makeovers.

Here are some fantastic vanity makeovers our Workshop members have shared:

In regards to your shower, I suggest using CLR 750ml Bathroom And Kitchen Cleaner. It should be effective against mould and mildew as well. 

The rust on your shower frame is another matter. It looks like the rust has started to travel inside the rubber seal of your glass. It is still possible to repair this damage, but it's involved and will require you to have prior knowledge of glass installation. Perhaps you can get a quote for the removal and re-installation of the glass while you perform the repair? But if the cost of the removal and repair is greater than the cost of a brand-new shower, you'll need to decide which one would be more cost effective.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric. That's all really helpful and I look forward to getting started. Two other questions:

1. If the bathroom wall is already painted will I need to do an undercoat?

2. The harder I look the more I find to fix! Where the shower meets the wall the paint has started to peel away (see photo). It feels like it has been sealed and then painted (but not very well). See photo. Is my best course of action to scrape away the paint, reseal and then repaint? and if yes, what would I use to 'seal' it.

Thanks

AnnShower.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYHaveaCrack 

I suggest doing a quick test to find out if you have water-based or oil-based paint on your wall. Get a bottle of methylated spirits and put a small amount on a clean rag. Rub a small section of your wall, if the paint comes off it is water-based, but if it just goes very shiny it is oil-based.

Once you find out what kind of paint you have on your wall, you can use the same type on top of it. One of the main reasons for using a primer on top of your existing topcoat is that it has deteriorated badly. If your paint is flaking or cracking and coming off in sections, it will be necessary to use a primer.

It will be necessary to sand your walls and remove any old silicone seals that's attached to your shower. When your wall is prepared, you can then proceed to paint it and when the paint has cured, you then apply the silicone sealant to your shower.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects