Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a stuck tap spindle from the tap bonnet?

pgleeson
Just Starting Out

How to remove a stuck tap spindle from the tap bonnet?

I can successfully remove the tap bonnet from the kitchen tap to replace the washer.  I need to remove the spindle from the bonnet but the spindle is stuck and will not drop out of the bonnet after fully unscrewing. I think the  O-ring on the spindle may be fragmented and fragments have jammed the spindle in the bonnet.  Any suggestions for how to remove?

many thanks Paul

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a stuck tap spindle from the tap bonnet?

Hello @pgleeson

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to remove your stuck spindle assembly.

Generally, when the spindle is stuck on the bonnet I often advise replacing the whole spindle assembly. You could disassemble the set by locking the bonnet body on a table vice and wrenching the spindle out using locking pliers but the effort will not offer any advantage. The inside of the spindle body can't be repaired.

I recommend considering changing the entire with an Estilo WELS 3 Star 9L/min Basin Set. This set has all the parts you could possibly need. You can also remove the old basin set and install the Estilo as is with all new fittings. However, if the old set matches the rest of the house I can understand why you would want to preserve it. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the stuck assembly? Once we see it, we can then offer alternatives on how to remove it. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pgleeson
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric for your quick reply and suggestions.  I fixed the problem, thankfully!!  Silly me did not realise that the bonnet came out with the outer shell of the extender!  Previously the extender had remained on the pipe.  Spindle is now cleaned and all is good,

Cheers

Paul

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pgleeson

That's excellent news, I'm glad you got it sorted out. If you have any other projects or questions please don't hesitate to share them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information should you need it.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects