Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove and replace a one armed toilet roll holder?

kantoon
Getting Established

How to remove and replace a one armed toilet roll holder?

Hi

The arm broke off the toilet roll holder and the bracket on the tile will not come off. There is no hole for an Allen key or screwdriver to take it off. 

How do we get the bracket off and how best to replace the arm?

BF2C6688-D03B-4F7B-91A4-C9CB288A8BA9.jpeg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to remove and replace a one armed toilet roll holder?

@kantoon  If there is no grub screw at the bottom then what you are looking at is a cover plate on top of the actual bracket. Normally just a press fit, occasionally a screw fit. Have a look on the edge for a small indent. You should be able to lever the cover off with a screw driver if press fit. Screw off with multigrips if screw fit. Once the cover is off you will be able to see the screws that hold the bracket. If you were happy with the original id suggest getting the same as you could just use the same screw holes.JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kantoon

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to remove and replace your toilet roll holder.

It's great that you've received some very in-depth recommendations from @JDE. The steps proposed are exactly what you would need to do to remove the cover flange of the one-armed toilet roll holder. If you're after a similar looking toilet roll holder, I suggest using the Caroma Chrome Cosmo Toilet Roll Holder

Please keep us updated, we would be keen to see how the old toilet roll flange gets taken off.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kantoon
Getting Established

Hi - thanks for the advice. We managed to twist it off using a vice grip. The width of the cover is 40mm and has the attached bracket. Do we need a replacement one with the same width or can we use any size - I think the one at Bunnings is bigger at

92DA8F05-2695-48AB-BAC1-9800173169FC.jpeg

45mm? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kantoon

That's fantastic that you got the old cover flange off. I suggest bringing the cover flange and the mounting plate with you when you go to the store. You can use the flange and plate to help you pick a similar-sized toilet roll holder. As I mentioned in my last post, I recommend having a look at the Caroma Chrome Cosmo Toilet Roll Holder as it looks about the same size.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your new toilet roll holder installed.

Eric

kantoon
Getting Established

no luck. The screws on the bracket are too close together and won’t fit the existing holes in the tile. We need a bracket that is 3cm from the top of the top screw to the bottom of the bottom screw. 

2756FCF4-5844-4F1E-95DF-7512812FFD06.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kantoon

I'm sorry to hear that the Caroma unit did not fit. Thank you for providing the measurements for the screws. Let me make some inquiries for you at one of the local stores and see which toilet roll holder might work for you. I will get back to you as soon as I have more information. 

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kantoon

After a thorough look, the closest toilet roll holder with the same mounting dimensions is the Methven Turoa Toilet Roll Holder. I've placed a photo of its measurements below for you to have a look at. I recommend carefully opening the packaging and matching it up against your existing mounting screws. If it's compatible you can proceed to mount it on your wall. Most of the other toilet roll holder units are smaller but can be D.I.Y. modified if you have the tools to do so. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects