Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove and replace shower floor channel?

PenguinPasta
Finding My Feet

How to remove and replace shower floor channel?

I have this on my shower floor but that area is looking all gunky and I'd like to remove it so I can clean underneath, and re-stick this thing. I can't actually see how it's stuck onto the floor, though I see a tiny bit of mouldy silicone at one part.

No instructions on the product page.

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 12.07.42 pm.png
Shower floor channel 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove and replace shower floor channel?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PenguinPasta. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Sandleford shower floor channels.

Those seals get glued down to your floor with a wet area silicone. If you'd like to remove the seal, carefully slice underneath on both sides with a retractable knife. Make sure to wear safety gloves and cut away from yourself. The idea is that you want to slice through the bed of silicone and not the seal itself. Once the floor channel is separated, you can clean up under it, remove the excess silicone, and stick it back down into place with clear wet area silicone.

If you are having difficulty cutting through the silicone with a knife, take a length of dental floss or fishing line and hook it under one end of the channel. Once you've worked it down to underneath, grip both ends of the line and cut through the silicone with a sawing action.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much! The dental floss worked perfectly! Thank you!

That's great to hear @PenguinPasta! Shout out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or garden; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Hey there,

Is there any further information on how to stick it back in place with the clear wet area silicone? Just want to ensure I'm doing it correctly before sticking it onto my new tiles.

Thanks in advance

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CarlyEm. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a floor channel.

I'd suggest placing the channel in the required position and then taping either side of it with painter's tape. Remove the channel and add a 5mm wide bead of wet area silicone along the full length of the area between the tape with a caulking gun. Once you've applied the silicone, firmly push the channel down onto it. Wipe away any excess silicone that was pushed out from beneath the channel and then remove the painter's tape.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects