Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove hazing after grout?

sirec446
Just Starting Out

How to remove hazing after grout?

I used Davco easy grout and it has hazed my ceramic tiles.
Grout link: https://www.bunnings.com.au/davco-2l-bright-white-pre-mixed-easy-grout_p6650421

Wall tile link: https://www.bunnings.com.au/johnson-tiles-300-x-600mm-marble-white-rectified-ceramic-wall-tile-carto...

I have tried using vinegar and alcohol to clean it but no success.

The picture below shows the actual colour of the tile on the left and the tiles on the right are hazy ones.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

20220606_203718.jpg

• SmartSelect_20220606-204040_Chrome.jpg
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove hazing after grout?

Hello @sirec446 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing grout haze.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to remove grout haze? by @Mitch16. In the discussion, you'll see that one of the stronger chemicals recommended is called the Crommelin Efflorescence Remover. But before you use this chemical, I recommend trying out a traditional formula of 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup ammonia, 1/2 cup baking soda and 1 litre of water. Place the mix in a bottle sprayer and test a small corner before committing to the entire area. Please note that this has a very potent smell, I suggest keeping your door, windows and exhaust fan open while using this mix on the wall. 

Please make sure to use safety gloves and eye protection to keep yourself safe. Use a damp sponge and vigorously wipe the wall. Make sure to change the water in the bucket when it gets too hazy.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sirec446
Just Starting Out

Re: How to remove hazing after grout?

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the prompt response. I did see the How to remove grout haze? by @Mitch16. post as that was the most relatable topic in the google search results gave me.
I will try the traditional formula first and see how I go.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects