Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from bathroom tiles?

RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

How to remove paint from bathroom tiles?

529E069A-2F24-49C1-AAE8-746ADFE85816.jpeg

How do I remove paint from tiles in my bathroom. Half a tile just peeled off and I was inspired to remove the rest. I tried a scraper but this is not a valid method for me. I’m not sure what of paint it is . The tiles have a raised pattern on them so they are not flat. Advice would be welcome . 
thank you 

rosemary 

Re: paint removal from bathroom tiles

Hi @MitchellMc  . You advised Rosemary above to paint over her flaking painted tiles. I have a similar problem where paint has begun peeling from tiles we painted about 4 years ago (we used regular tile paint and tile primer but not the special renovation range) but I'm not wanting to use paint stripper in our small bathroom as we have small kids in the house and it isn't very well ventilated.

I was wondering what steps roughly I would need to take to repaint our already painted tiles! Would it need a big sand before starting all the primer/paint/sealer steps (using renovation range) or does it just need a sugar soaping before commencing? I would be worried it would look lumpy where I do the fresh coat over peeled parts if you can picture that? Thanks in advance :smile:316099385_850475316407198_8188413005023742264_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: paint removal from bathroom tiles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @annievdm. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring painted tiles.

You'll certainly need to sand and feather out that chipped edge for it not to show through your final coats. A good indicator is to run your finger over the transition between the old paint and tile. If you can feel the chipped edge, you'll likely see it through the new topcoat and need to continue sanding and feathering. The more time you spend on getting this edge blended, the better your results will be.

If this were previously painted with Dulux products, then you'd sand the chipped areas until they are smooth and blended in, give the painted tiles a scuff up with 240-grit sandpaper to remove any gloss, clean the wall down with Sugar Soap and rinse with fresh water. Once the tiles are dry, prime the areas where the paint has chipped and coat over the wall with your new topcoat. No need to prime the already painted areas. You might like to apply the clear coat for added protection. Given that the current coating isn't the Dulux Renovation range, it would be difficult for me to comment on the compatibility of the products.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects