Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove the shower sink spindle?

harvin36
Finding My Feet

How to remove the shower sink spindle?

I unable to remove the tap spindle out as to replace with a new one.

The place where you use the spanner has been damaged. And the spanner does not have a good grip.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove the shower sink spindle?

Hello @harvin36

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about removing your shower sink spindle.

I'm sorry to hear that your spindle is not cooperating. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your spindle? This will let us determine what condition it is in and what we can suggest to enable you to remove it. I recommend using the Magnet Multi Fit Tap Spanner Set to allow you to get a good grip on the spindle.

However, if the spindle body has been totally rounded, I suggest using an Irwin 175mm Vice-Grip Curved Jaw Locking Pliers to grip the body of the spindle. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the photos.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

20210817_172231.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @harvin36

Thank you for posting a photo of your spindle. It looks like there is still enough of the spindle body for the Magnet Multi Fit Tap Spanner Set to work. However, if you think that there will not be enough grip, I suggest using my first recommendation of employing the Irwin 175mm Vise-Grip Curved Jaw Locking Pliers to lock on to the spindle.

Please remember to bring the spindle with you to the store so that you can accurately match it for size. Please keep us updated, any progress photos you can post while repairing your spindle would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @Brad and @JDE for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Have use the 175mm Vice grip but it just get worst.Still unable to loosen the spindle.

Thanks

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @harvin36 , just a quick check....  first make sure that you have opened the tap, so there is no pressure on the unit that could be holding it in place.  If need be put the pliers onto the thin spindle and turn anti- clockwise to losen it. Then do the same with the outer body. You may need to give it a few sharp bumps on the pliers to make it come loose. Snap the pliers on as low on the outer unit as you can.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @harvin36

I'm sorry to hear that the spindle is still stuck. It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @TedBear. His recommendation is spot on and would have been my next suggestion. Please make sure that the locking pliers are totally locked onto the spindle before you start turning anti-clockwise.

However, if after many attempts you feel that the spindle has seized, you may have to consider either replacing the full set or engaging the services of a registered plumber. I recommend using Estilo WELS 3 Star 9L/min Basin Set if you plan to replace the set. It has both the hot /cold spindle assembly and a spout. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the spindle removed and replaced.

If you need more advice and information, please let us know.

Eric

I am afraid what if Plumber unable to loosen the spindle and replace with the new one? What will be the next step?

Thanks

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @harvin36 it is unlikely that a plumber would not be able to remove the spindle. He/she will have a range of heavy-duty tools and techniques to shift the most stubborn of tap situations.

Do you have a spanner that will fit onto the base of the spindle - the thin dark-brown nut at the very bottom where it meets the vanity top. That nut appears to be ok, judging from the photo.

That should unscrew and allow the whole unit to be removed through the bottom of the vanity.

It doing that yourself, I recommend cutting a hole the size of that nut, in a piece of thin cardboard (eg the back piece of a note book or writing pad) and put it over the tap spindle to protect the vanity top from being scratched by the spanner.

You will need to first remove the pipe from the under the tap, if that hasn't been done already.  Hopefully it is a flexible pipe that attaches to an outlet on the wall.  In any event to do that it is best to buy an end cap, but I couldn't find one on Bunnings site, but you could buy a cheap Cistern cock

https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-1-2-chrome-mini-cistern-cock_p5040010 )

and use that to block the water off while you remove the tap.

With the main water turned off, remove the pipe from the under tap and attach the end cap, or Cistern cock, to the pipe where it now attaches to the tap you are removing. That way you can then turn the water on again to your house while sorting out the removal and replacement of the tap you are working on.  If it isn't a flexible pipe, consider replacing it with one if the existing pipe has a connector at the wall that allows you to do that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects