Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair bathroom sink crack and hole?

daven25
Growing in Experience

How to repair bathroom sink crack and hole?

A crack in my sink became a hole and a pyramid-shaped piece has fallen out of the underside - leaving a tiny hole in the sink surface (about 1mm across) and a larger hole in the underside (about 1cm at widest point). See pics.

So I'm thinking some kind of putty/filler. Recommendations please?

Also the piece that fell out fits back in quite snugly (in fact it has to be pushed out from the top to remove it again). Should I "glue" the piece back in or just  fill the entire hole with the repair medium?

Thanks!

insink.pngunder.png 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair bathroom sink crack and hole?

Hello @daven25

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your sink in the bathroom.

I propose using Gorilla Glue 51ml Clear Bottle to re-attach the broken porcelain onto the bottom of the sink. Once the glue has cured, I recommend using PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste. It is waterproof and non-toxic when it dries. Mix a small batch and press it into the small cavity at the top of the sink. If possible put some at the bottom as well. 

Please note that it's important that the PC-11 paste cover the cracks that are at the bottom of the sink so that there will be no leaks. Once the paste dries you can lightly sand it down so that it is at the same level as your sink. Please note that epoxy paste will dry off white and will not be the same colour as your bathroom sink.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daven25
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric. 

Two things.

Firstly the piece of porcelain that dropped out the underside is such a tight fit when pushed back into place I wonder of there's any space for glue.

Secondly it may not be clear there are fine cracks extending from the hole in the upper sink surface. Should anything be done about those?

I've attached another picture of this same small hole with the cracks more visible. One of these goes through to the underside - the others, not (yet!).

hole closer.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daven25,

The Gorilla glue @EricL mentioned is relatively thin, so you shouldn't have any issue reinserting the chip. There's not a whole heap I can advise on the cracks. Since they are so fine, I don't think you'll be able to fill them with anything. You could try using the putty and smearing it into them. If you use a plastic scraper, you should be able to apply pressure and force the putty into the broader section of the crack. If it can't key into the crack adequately, it might come out again. Alternatively, you could try getting the glue to fill the gap, but it is likely not a great permanent solution. Make sure to clean up the surrounding surfaces immediately after completing the repair. 

Do you fill the bowl for extended amounts of time? If so, water is going to find its way through your repairs. Using the putty and glue will hopefully work for general use of the sink, though.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects