Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair this vanity door?

namrah
Just Starting Out

How to repair this vanity door?

20210524_110225.jpg

 this is the bathroom vanity door of our rental apartment. It is swollen and not closing properly so it is hard to prevent water from getting when I clean the sink.

How do I fox this. There is swelling at the bottom too

20210524_110313.jpg

20210524_110230.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repair this vanity door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @namrah. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your questions about repairing vanity doors.

It might be worth investigating whether you could replace the door as any fix that I can think of would likely cost a good portion of a new door. The internal medium of that door is either MDF or chipboard, and both of these disintegrate readily when exposed to water. As you can see, the coating is already delaminating, and it's a sign that water has significantly penetrated the board. When water comes in contact with MDF or chipboard, they swell, and there is not really much you can do about that at this stage. You'll find Kaboodle doors have a thermal vinyl coating with no exposed corners to prevent this from happening. 

You might like to read through these previous discussions: 

You could attempt to fill the gaps with Selleys 8ml Araldite Ultra Clear Epoxy Adhesive and then clamp them closed, preventing more water from entering. Alternatively, you'd need to remove the damaged laminate, dig out any disintegrated MDF/chipboard, fill the damage with Builder's Bog and then paint the whole door.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects