Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace bathroom floor?

vik20
Finding My Feet

How to replace bathroom floor?

9k=.jpeg

hi All,

wanted to replace bathroomfloor. saw few posts on buunings and it seems vinyl floor planks are good to replace. Got few questions:

1. my bathroom floor wood might be little bit damp/damage due to water or moisture- what can be done to fix it? from gap it seems damp but wood seems good. once removed top floor will know damage. nothing below the bathroom(house on stumps pics attached. wood is good, not damp now)

2. At bottom of shower coroner where it is taped, the wood is rotted? Rotted wood might be small like 100mm by 20mm or less. can i use any earl wood hardneer and possible to fix it?

3. Vinyl floor planks are waterproof so is it still require to water proof floor as mentioned in this video link https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/flooring/how-to-waterproof-your-bathroom-flo...

interested in putting vinyl self adhesive floor planks for floor as they can replace existing old damged adhesive floor. is it possible? and also which silicon to be used to fill gaps?

thanks

vik

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace bathroom floor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vik20. It's fantastic that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about vinyl floor planks.

The first step in this project is to assess where this water is coming from. You'll need to identify that issue before we can move on. I suggest some investigative work by pulling back the vinyl flooring and looking for the most damaged areas. Once you find them, the water source shouldn't be hard to find. It might also help to get under the house to look for damp spots to help pinpoint the leak's location.

If the wood has rotted just outside the shower, you could assume that the shower's waterproofing membrane has been compromised. I'd suggest that instead of just repairing the damage, you'll need to fix the issue as simply applying new vinyl over it could cause a massive headache in the coming years. If you could provide some more images illustrating the damage to the floor, I'm sure our helpful members will be happy to advise how you could repair it.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

563B93F1-D12D-4B2F-B6F0-1D40088797BA.jpeggap beetween shower door likely issue of water at bottom coroner ...i suspectgap beetween shower door likely issue of water at bottom coroner ...i suspectno wet or damp but not sure since when wood color is like thatno wet or damp but not sure since when wood color is like thatshower baseshower base

added few photos

thanks for reply.

will try removing vinyl floor but worry if unable to put it back to avoid further damage. i couldn't find rotted wood(just damp might be due to gap between vinyl where wood is exposed) under vinyl but found only near shower coroner (just below where shower door gets closed).there is gap when door is closed (attached photo)and most likely water spilled out from it during taking shower. 

might try to get to know how much damaged wood is and cleanup/remove temporary tape/silicone etc to find exact damage during weekend. As in photos didn't found any damp when checked below shower(house on stumps)

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vik20,

The first thing I notice from your additional images is the dark water staining marks under your floor. All those dark marks are from water seeping through the floorboards. Due to the amount of staining, I suspect there is a leak, and it's not just from occasional splashes of water escaping over the threshold of the shower.

I believe you are on the right track by conducting a further investigation. If there is a leak within the shower tray, you'll need to have this fixed.

Keep us updated, and let me know if you find any cracks once the silicone has been removed.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc thanks for reply.

yes you are correct. It might be due to some leak at coroner of shower pan. Attached few more pics. The coroner has rotten wood. after removing rotten wood I can see hole from below the house if i remove one wood which is there for support. Will try and check from where and how much water leaks.

now i wonder how to fix it?. Being a newbie to renovation, is there any DIY solution to fix it without need to redo whole shower? The coroner is pretty bad and it is where water might be leaking. Rest of wood near shower area is damp but not rotten. Don't know how to fix it....
407AE34D-068E-4175-B499-61AA7098690C.jpegrotten corner. bit of hole which is on side and below shower panrotten corner. bit of hole which is on side and below shower panD508F76D-EE6C-4045-9A70-21B975FE287D.jpeg76F54539-984D-4315-824F-73477EE48EB6.jpeg

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@vik20,

If water is leaking out from inside the shower through that crack, it means there is a breach of your water-proofing membrane. This isn't a simple D.I.Y. fix and would likely mean removing the shower base to repair the membrane. Can you see any cracks in the Pebblecrete floor? Pay special attention to the corners where the wall meets the floor. There are not really any temporary fixes that I could suggest that would solve this issue. You could try painting the whole floor and lower portion of the walls within the shower recess with a few coats of Betta TileCare 1L Tile & Grout Sealer. If it is only a very fine crack, then the product might fill it up. This won't solve the issue that the water-proofing membrane is compromised, though.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects