Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal replacement grout in leaking shower?

DavidCor
Just Starting Out

How to seal replacement grout in leaking shower?

Hi all, I have a shower leaking through the tiles and I plan to replace the grout which has cracked in many places. While I am an experienced DIYer, I am not confident to try using epoxy based grout which might give the best result. My query is then for waterproofing of the new grout which is preferable;

• normal grout with a grout additive, or
  • normal grout followed by grout sealer after the grout cures?
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal replacement grout in leaking shower?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DavidCor. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing grout.

Epoxy grouts typically provide the best strength, are stain and crack-resistant, and are easier to clean. Epoxy-based grouts can be a little more challenging to apply than cement-based grouts. Make sure to clean the excess as you go, and don't allow the epoxy to dry on the tile's surface. With our knowledgeable members' assistance, I trust you'll be able to use epoxy grout for this project successfully.

If you'd like to go with a cement-based grout, I recommend applying a grout sealer after the grout cures. Grout sealers help resist water penetration and seal out stains and mould growth. You'd want the sealer on top of the grout as a barrier to prevent this penetration. With the sealer on top, you can refresh it periodically as it wears away.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects