Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas and planning for laundry renovation

ocp99
Growing in Experience

Ideas and planning for laundry renovation

Hello,

First timer here, I've been dreaming about doing a Laundry room makeover, and I am really inspired by the fellow members here who have done their laundry renovation.

I have a basic laundry, and have a general idea of what I want to achieve, but not sure about the size and scope of the work yet, and whether I will be able to tackle it. I am slowly creating a project plan and wanting to gather more ideas from the community.

My dream laundry room would have a benchtop and sink with base cabinet, and overhead cabinet and shelf. Possible tall cabinet for the mops etc, but this doesn't seem feasible for room this size.

Here's what it looks like currently:

laundry (2).jpeg

laundry (3).jpeg

from the other anglefrom the other angle

Room dimension:

L-shape: on the longest side L 2.67m x W 1,68m x H 2,41m

Capture.PNG

My main problem right now is the old laundry unit seems to have been placed on top of the (sub)floor without tiles while the rest of the area are tiled. I am torn on about just tiling the missing spot or replacing the whole tiles. Is floor tiling something that can be done for first-time DIYers with no past tiling experience? Or is there any alternative to this?

laundry unit with no tiles underneathlaundry unit with no tiles underneath

I've got more problems (sagging ceiling, out of plumb door), but if I don't start the reno, it won't be a problem until then.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas and Planning for Laundry Renovation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ocp99. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

I've taken the liberty of creating a rendering of the space and I think you might just squeeze a mop cupboard in if you wall-mount the dryer. There will be a trade-off, either the mop cupboard or additional wall mounted cupboards above. You can see in this design that we really can't afford to put a cupboard above the bench as it will partially block the window and I feel it'll negatively affect the space making it feel cramped.

Let me mention the fantastic @redracer01 to see if he can work his magic on a design as well.

Please let me know your thoughts and I can re-configure it without the mop cupboard, much more bench space and additional cupboards above.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@ocp99

I've put together that second layout for you and I'm pretty impressed at how that has turned out. For the sake of functionality, it might both worth having a think about where you could hide that mop elsewhere.

Mitchell

OCP992nd.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ocp99
Growing in Experience

Oh wow the possibilities. 

@MitchellMc, never crossed my mind about stacking the dryer on top of the washing machine. The first one is looking very simplistic, which is nice, but I'm loving the second one with more functional bench space. Looking forward to see if other members can share more ideas.

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @ocp99 

We’re prepping for a laundry reno at the moment too and have the same situation where the tiling has been done around the cabinet that we’re gonna rip out. 
Our plan is to just retile that small section, as long as it’s level it’s going to be covered with a new cabinet anyways.

I’ve only done tiling once before and that was for a splash back.. I found it to be a lot easier than I thought. Watch some tiling tutorials on YouTube etc, that’s where I learnt how to do it.
All the best with it, looking forward to seeing the end result!
Jess

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @ocp99 

Best of both worlds. Smaller laundry trough for a small cupboard to store brooms, mops and the vac. Custom made cupboard door (you choose the color), I will be posting a few other configurations when the opportunity  presents itself. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

ocp991.jpgocp993.jpgocp992.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

ocp99
Growing in Experience

Thank you @prettyliving for the input. It is good idea to just tile that small section, but at the same time I want a little bit more modern look with new floor tiles. Oh decision, decision.

@redracer01thank you for the drawing. I like the cupboard but I also like bigger sink. I will have to have tradeoff somewhere :unhappy:

Btw so in your drawing, is the cabinet also custom-made, or just the door? Which product are we looking at?

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @ocp99 

The cabinet can be purchased as is but you will have to modify to fit. The door is custom made from plywood AA Birch. You can paint it gloss to match the doors. 

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

bruce93
Building a Reputation

Hi @prettyliving 

Just thought I would mention that it may not be required to retile the section that the trough is sitting on and you are planning on replacing with a cabinet. 
Generally speaking the cabinet will be deeper than the trough. Not sure if you've seen my Laundry renovation but we did the same thing. But due to the adjustable feet on the cabinet we could counter act the difference of where there was no tile and was tiles. 
Also it will get covered with a kickboard so no one will know that the tiles don't go all the way to the wall if that makes sense?

Bruce

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @ocp99 

Here are a few more ideas. If you use hybrid clip on flooring systems you should be able to get away without tiling the floor.

Cheers,

Red

ocp994.jpgocp995.jpgocp996.jpgocp997.jpgocp998.jpgocp999.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects