Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for small bathroom, small budget reno

katebnz
Finding My Feet

Ideas for small bathroom, small budget reno

3B44423A-9532-4EDD-A184-2AAA94A4DEBB.jpeg

Hi all

We are renovating our property including this tiny en-suite and I’m hoping for some ideas. Keen to spend as little as possible but would like to include:

new vanity/basin

new mirror shaving cabinet

paint walls

then, if money permits us

new shower base and glass

retile floor and shower

*keeping existing layout to save money

*can’t have a recessed / in wall toilet unit as it’s a concrete wall. So looking for a short projection back to wall toilet

*the column in corner must stay as it has plumbing in there.

*you will see from my drawings that the doorway is tiny. I’m going to move that door and replace with a barn style door to save space

So it’s a tricky tight space to find a vanity that’ll fit without imposing on toilet space.

Thanks everyone 

24A9D52B-048E-4153-BF33-658BBEC1C5BD.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: ideas for small bathroom, small budget reno

Hi @katebnz,

Great to see you make your first post. Welcome! We are looking forward to seeing how you can transform your bathroom, hopefully with a bit of help from the community along the way. 

Many thanks for sharing a floorplan with dimensions and some photos of the space. That will really help experienced members like @Mathy@2Belindas and @redracer01 kick off the discussion with some suggestions for you. Do you have any idea about budget though?

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason. Budget probably $3k all up possibly more? Not sure what’s doable.

thanks so much 

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @katebnz - I understand your issues with this bathroom. Mine is about the same size, it’s the main bathroom, and I have 2 doors 😂 So - good thinking with the barn door, that’s what I’ve been thinking I’m going to have to do with mine.

For the toilet, I have something like this Back to Wall Toilet - all porcelain, good product and very reasonably priced. Stylish and easy to keep clean.

Looking at your photo, I’m not sure exactly why you want to change everything. The bathroom doesn’t look really old?? I’d just replace the toilet and put the barn door on. Do that, have a look and see what you think after. 

Can I just say, it’s not a good time to over capitalise on your house - we are heading into uncertain times. This is not advice, this is an opinion based on experience, cheers Deb :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @katebnz. Thanks for your question.

In order for our helpful community members to give some great solutions, it would be wonderful to know what particular issues you have at the moment with the bathrooms current features. As Mathy has mentioned most of the bathroom appears quite modern and functional so I would be interested to hear what you would like to achieve with this transformation.

I'll include some helpful articles on bathroom refresh topics which you might find useful- How to turn your bathroom into a retreatD.I.Y. Bathroom Wooden ShelvesCleaning tips to beautify your bathroomHow to create extra bathroom storage. These will assist in deciding if your bathroom needs a full restoration or could a re-style be what you are after. 

If you were to consider not changing the tiles (which look quite nice) that money could be invested into some really high-end finishes which would give the bathroom an extremely luxurious feel.

Please let us know your preferences on the project, what you want to achieve from the new look, what you don't like about the current setup and I'm sure we can provide some great solutions.

Mitchell

2Belindas
Making a Splash

Hi @katebnz 
If you intend on keeping the plan, but are willing to change the shower base, I'd definitely look at making it a little bigger.....extend it towards the toilet just a bit, as 860 x 840 is pretty tight.  The barn door will make the room feel more spacious too.
You could vinyl plank over the existing tiles, as a budget option. Bunnings have nice ones.

Add a wooden shelves above the toilet (colour to match flooring as best as possible) and style.  Exchange the vanity for a floating vanity which will make your room feel larger too.  Black knobs to match the black barn door hardware (track/mount)

I love decorative mirrors, but you are going to need good storage, so exchange the mirror for a shaving cabinet.  If you could add a pendant light on the right of the vanity, that'd look great, depending on your regulations (proximity to water). 

Just my tips.  
Nice project.  Good luck x

Creating a beautiful home on a budget
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @katebnz 

Maybe...just maybe we can make that budget fit.

Duratile 30 x 60 Agregate Grey porcelain floor tile - 6 pack x 4 boxes

Wall tile white 200 x 100 in herringbone pattern laid out ( depends how far you want to tile )

Dunlop grout - light grey 1 bag

Dunlop Resaflex tile adhesive 20 kg bag x 2

Dunlop silicone bottles x 3

Mondella Rococo back to wall toilet suite x 1

Kaboodle 600mm wall cabinet x 2

Kaboodle 300mm gloss white doors x 4

Kaboodle hinges x 4 packs

Interbuild 2200 x 600 x 26mm golden oiled hardwood acacia panel x 1 ( bench top and shelves )

Framless glass shower door and return x 1

Caroma Luna universal inset basin x 1

Mondella mirror cabinet 3 door 1200 wide x 1

The tile splashback over your vanity is available at Bunnings as well. ( Modello Decor )

You can also use - Sanwon white and pattern hexagon mosaic tile sheet. ( gives the same effect )

Your choice of basin tap x 1

With the budget you mentioned it will have to be DIY and favors asked and mates rates.

By tilling the entire floor area you can forgo buying a tray - on the condition that you will have to spend some money for water proofing. You can then just buy the glass shower door and return. The wall cabinets are only 320mm deep with the door attached so it will fit neat with the protruding post and not extend out to your toilet. The bench top can be cut to size and re-oiled, the off cuts will then turn into your shelves over the toilet. I chose a light grey color to the tiles to add a bit of contrast to the white. My only other suggestion is to change your current light source to bright white or cool white to remove that harsh yellow light that permeates the room. By tiling past your shower area it gives the room the illusion of being bigger. If you do choose a white tile then I suggest to tile up to the post but not over it. Choose a big wide tile like a 600 x 300 again for that effect of a bigger room. I hope you enjoy the drawings and that they have given you inspiration to explore the possibilities. Take care be safe.

Cheers,

Red

katbnz1.jpgkatbnz2.jpgkatbnz3.jpgkatbnz4.jpgkatbnz5.jpgkatbnz7.jpgkatbnztop.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Love your ideas Red! 

My small ensuite is the exact layout except I have no column only a wooden towel rack that extends from the end of the vanity to the wall. My window is above the toilet. You have given me so many good ideas now @redracer01  so thank you!!

IMG_1442.JPG

Fantastic, thanks so much for letting us know @Duaneharry. I'm sure @redracer01 really appreciates the positive feedback as he puts a lot of time and effort into his designs for other community members.

We are looking forward to reading more about your renovation plans. Please don't hesitate to hit the Start a discussion button and share more about your ensuite and what you want to achieve. We'd be happy to help.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're rapt to have you join us. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects