Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is acrylic or polymarble shower base better?

Cranswick
Growing in Experience

Is acrylic or polymarble shower base better?

l am getting a new shower , what is the best material for the shower base, Acrylic shower base or polymarlbe, which one is less likely to crack, is one easier to install then the other, is the polymarble much heavier

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Acrylic or Polymarble shower base

Hi @Cranswick,

We stock acrylic, SMC and Torbex shower bases. Both SMC and Torbex are considered more durable than acrylic. The Torbex is a high-strength long glass fibre composite material typically considered more durable than polymarble. None of these have any tendency to crack, and all of their installations are very similar. The SMC, Torbex and Polymarble all weigh more than the acrylic.

You'll find that acrylic shower bases tend to be on the more budget-friendly side, though that is not an indicator that their quality is any less than the other options. I believe you'll be more than happy with either an acrylic, SMC or Torbex base. Feel free to check out our available shower bases and let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cranswick
Growing in Experience

Thanks,  WOuld a polymarble base installed properly be no more likely to crack then a base of any other material or does it have more risk

As we don't stock Polymarble, I'm unaware of all its characteristics @Cranswick. They are a resin and filler construction with a gel coating. Cracked shower bases of any type aren't something I've readily come across. I would suggest that if any modern shower base were to crack, it's likely an installation error where the base was not fully supported.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects