Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry facelift

Danniimess
Growing in Experience

Laundry facelift

I wanted to create a more functional laundry for my mum who has dementia. User friendly for mum as well as an easy work space for her carers. Previously it was old and really hard to keep tidy.

I love all things vintage so I designed the laundry colour palette around the original floor tiles. The warmth of the wooden bench top and shelves compliment the tiles and original wall paint. I was on a budget so I only changed what was necessary!

The cabinet handles have a vintage feel to them and the tile splash back compliments the floor tiles, sharing the same square shape and size. I love how it all came together, visually inviting and the ample room for storage and work space.

I hired a carpenter to custom build the cabinets and of course electrical and plumbing experts.

Mum loves it! It’s harmonious with the functional design complimenting the original features throughout her 1980’s home. It blends in so well with the rest of her home and now a GREAT laundry!

251C1E75-9CC8-43BF-B584-D26BD0DF792C.jpeg

0C6F0F30-EAB1-4F01-8CFA-01BB26B5A702.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Laundry facelift

Hi @Danniimess,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful you have decided to join and share your laundry facelift with us. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. Some of our members' projects make it into our Top Ideas page like our top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects article, you may find your project in there one day.

You've done a spectacular job using what you had and finding new items that compliment the 1980's tile while making the space more modern. Any words of advice for someone looking to do a laundry facelift of their own? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Danniimess
Growing in Experience

Re: Laundry facelift

Thanks Katie! I am a strong believer in working to the strengths of the house era you have. Whitewashing it modern isn’t necessary the best result for the long term.

I think the best advice to laundry design is to consider the room as a multi use room.
With social changes today where different generations are now living under the same roof (kids, grandparents etc..) having a laundry that could convert into a kitchenette or study is definitely a smart future planning decision. You will see my mums kitchen could easily be used as a kitchenette, allowing divisional living if needed in her home.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects